Macbook Pro internest slows down with external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by guidoverduci, Feb 17, 2012.

1. guidoverduci macrumors member

Hi-

I have a 2011 MBP on my desk upstairs, while my router is downstairs. I noticed that the internet speed, via speedtest, is much slower upstairs but I figured that was because of the distance from the router. Today I did a speed test both upstairs and downstairs where the laptop sits and it's virtually the same speed. However, when I plug in my external monitor the speed drops from 25Mbps to 6 Mbps. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ive seen this before, where people say clamshell mode causes a slow down in network speed

3. guidoverduci thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

So.. Is it something I just have to accept?

4. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

seems like an unsolved conspiracy. I have not noticed this however. I assume you are using clamshell mode? if so, try it with the mbp opened and your monitor as the secondary. did you already try all those type or scenarios?

5. guidoverduci thread starter macrumors member

yeah, tried all that. What a bummer. I liked having it in clamshell mode, but it looks like I'll have to find an alternative.

6. swamesp macrumors regular

Sorry to bring back the old thread, just thought it could be helpful for someone. I hope you found a solution for this, if not it's because of the router and the dvi cable, that is causing interference for the signal.

Two ways to fix:
    - Change the channel in your router (manually) if you know how to do it

Else
    - with your monitor connect to mbp, restart the router it might automatically pick up a better channel.

Else call your internet service provider to help with changing the channel.