Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newbe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
USA
I currently use Time Warner for cable, phone and internet. Since I will be getting a new MacBook, I contacted the Time Warner for access to the internet and I told them that I wanted a wifi router. I thought that they would simply provide me with a free router, but to my surprise they wanted to charge me an additional $5+ change per month. For a few bucks, I could buy my own router but then I noticed their modem has no additional ports.
I don't know whether I should give them the cash or try to negotiate with a supervisor with customer service for a free router. Any suggestions and I was also wondering whether I should get the airport extreme base station for the imac and printer. Thanks for the input.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Get your own modem and router.

In regards to ports, your modem has at least one correct?

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!
You're not entitled to a free router from them. Their modem has at least one Ethernet port; buy yourself a router, plug it into their modem.

Winning.

Newbe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
USA
Thanks guys for the info. I bought a router and will hook it all up when I return home.

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
My provider gave me a free router. Hooked up all wifi devices for free, and one wired device, including cabling. Mind you, the router was garbage, and I ended up switching it out later on.

Awjvail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
ISP routers are ALWAYS garbage. Always.

If you're looking for a router with a great feature set and lots of wireless range, I recommend the Asus RT-N16.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.