Macbook pro internet security

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fpb1980, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Fpb1980 macrumors member

I purchased my macbook from best buy and they offer free internet security through trend for 6 months and xfinity offers nortons free.

Does anyone use norton's for their mac? How is it? Should I go to norton's or stick with trend?

Thanks.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. Fpb1980 thread starter macrumors member

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Any form of antivirus and internet security will only do more harm than good for OS X, due to how the OS is designed.

OS X does not need any of them, period. Apple supplies its own security definitions to OS X in the background (xprotect.plist and xprotect.meta.plist).

5. Rigby macrumors 601

Enable the built-in firewall, don't use an account with administrator privileges for day-to-day work, and use common sense when dealing with links and email attachments. Better than any of that bloatware ...

6. Fpb1980 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks just removed the garbage and turned on the firewall.

7. Ulenspiegel, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Neither. First of all they will slow down your computer, secondly you don't really need such software on a Mac. Thirdly, if you try to get rid of Norton, for instance, your hair will fall out until you fully clean all the garbage it installs on your computer.

If you want to be on the safe side, you can have two free applications:

1. AdwareMedic.
    2. ClamXav.

8. Redsfan macrumors regular

haven't heard of Adware Medic, anybody else use this? Is it useful?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.
    It's useful if you have adware on your computer.

Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac
    Adware can be removed by using this tool: AdwareMedic

10. TLmac macrumors member

I am simply posting to keep this as future reference....

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You do realize you can bookmark threads or subscribe to them without posting, right?
    Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 9.47.58 PM.PNG

12. TLmac macrumors member

13. Queen6, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Same question, same rhetoric;

As someone who relies on their Mac`s for a living absolutely yes...

There are multiple reasons to run antivirus/malware detection on OS X especially if you are dealing with mixed environments. Passing on malicious code, even inadvertently will do you no favours in the professional world, let alone your family and friends. What does not hurt OS X may well bring a Windows based system to it`s knees. By far the vast majority of companies that you may potentially work with, or interact with will require a level of antivirus protection, regardless of platform.

You do need to be careful on the choice of application; perviously I ran ClamXav as the app is extremely light and only looks in realtime at what you specify, it`s free, equally time has moved on and ClamXav has remained rather static. I now use Avast. Same scenario no impact to performance with a greater scope of realtime protection. Does anyone seriously still believe that running Avast or ClamXav on todays modern hardware impacts performance? The paid packages I agree are unnecessary on OS X, as the free alternatives are perfectly adequate at present.

Avast or ClamXav will have no impact on a modern Intel based Mac. To have a free, low headroom, accurate scanner and not utilise it, is somewhat stubborn at best. The retorts of AV being a resource hog, boils down to one thing, research; Avast or ClamXav will not bog your system down. If it does your system has other inconsistencies that need addressing, or your hardware is so old it`s well and truly time to upgrade. On my Early 2008 2.4 MBP ClamXav is simply invisible, there is absolutely no degradation of performance, as for the Late 2011 i7 2.4 MBP, Mid 2012 Retina & new 2.8 13" Retina it`s completely transparent, as is Avast, same applies to the rest of the Mac`s we own, used both in the professional environment and at home.

I have literally decades of work on my systems, and have no intention of losing any data, or suffering any downtime. Antivirus is but one tool in a multilayered security safety net. Lets face it, if and when OS X is compromised it will spread like wildfire, as many fundamentally believe that OS X is invulnerable, then it will "be all over, bar the shouting". I am not entirely sure posts that overly reinforce this false sense of security are remotely helpful to the average user. Even Apple recognises the security threat, however the updates are too slow to be considered a truly preventative measure. As of OS X 10.6 your Mac is running anti malware like it or not courtesy of Apple`s xProtect. Virus/Malware gains traction by exploiting vulnerabilities on unprotected systems. I don't believe for one second that any antivirus/malware detection application is the single security solution for OS X, it is however one of many effective barriers.

I have never had a positive hit in all the years I have run drive scans with ClamXav and now Avast, equally I have observed malicious code blocked by Avast`s Web Shield (likely Windows based). OS X is gaining ever more traction and it`s simply a matter of time before someone figures it out, thinking otherwise is simply naive. Avast and ClamXav cost me nothing monetarily, nor time in productivity. This is a safety net that costs little more than a few minutes of your time period.

There are many compelling reasons to run Avast, ClamXav or similar, and few if any not too. Personal choices aside I fundamentally believe that suggesting that OS X is 100% safe to all and does not need such tools is very much a step in the wrong direction; not all are technically minded, neither do all users who may have access to systems follow safe computing rules and guidelines. The vast majority simply point and click to get to where or what they want, Avast or ClamXav simply serves as a barrier to protect those that are unaware, and some cases unconcerned, ultimately such safeguards protect the community as a whole.

Install, don’t install it`s down to you...

----------

Running an account with "admin privileges" has zero impact to OS X`s security, that`s a Windows thing ;)

Q-6

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Agreed

Thats the way I look at it, Avast user for 4 years and it is excellent, free and has no impact on my machine at all.

15. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

1. There is no anti-virus software that has zero effect on the performance of the computer which is evident taking into account the mechanism of action of such applications.

(Macworld UK, September 3, 2014)

2. Macs are not immune to cyber attack, but compared to Windows the Apple Mac has all but evaded the widespread attention of criminals.

(Macworld UK, September 3, 2014)

3. While modern software with heuristics have a very good rate for normal, average malware, the detection rate of anti-virus software will never be 100%. Antivirus technology itself does not provide total protection. As even Symantec admits it the traditional anti-virus approach based around database of malware signatures is no longer an effective method to protect against malware. New techniques need to be developed to fight new threats.