Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VistulaPL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
Poland
Hello everyone!

I am a happy iPhone 6s Plus user, and this iPhone is my first Apple device ever since (I am planning to switch to iPhone 8 next month, because the Plus version seems to big for me). Right now I want to buy a laptop and a tablet, both from Apple as well and I hope your advice can help me with a tough decision - which one to buy.

I am considering:
1) Macbook Pro 13'' nTB 256GB (2017) + iPad 9,7'' (2017) LTE 128 GB
or
2) Macbook Air 13'' 256 GB + iPad Pro 10,5'' LTE 64 GB

These are the only two sets that are within my budget (and I don't want the Touchbar version of Macbook Pro, I want just regular keyboard). I want to stress that I need to have both laptop and tablet, because I will share the laptop with my wife - we will both work on it, while the iPad will be my personal device mainly for media consumption.

Things me and my wife will use Macbook for: lots of word editing (MS Word - we are both lawyers), web browsing, mail, Netflix, casual photo-editing (the Photos app in Mac OS is fine for me, I don't need anything else), casual video-editing (mainly iMovie - it has everything I need including basic color correction, maybe I will buy Final Cut Pro someday).

Things I will use iPad for: web browsing, mail, Netflix, casual photo-editing (in Photos app), casual video-editing (in iMovie, maybe I will buy LumaFusion someday).

I know that when it comes to the general stuff (MS Word, web browsing, mail, Netflix etc), each of the above mentioned machines will handle it perfectly. But:
- I don't like the screen of the Macbook Air, the Retina on Macbook Pro is so clear, bright and colorful... I am afraid that the screen on the Air will cause my eyes hurt while doing a lot of word processing
- I am really, really, really afraid of the keyboard problems on Macbook Pro! I read dozens of threads on the forums that Apple did not fix the keyboard issues in the 2017 edition, and I will write a lot of documents in MS Word so the keyboard has to work perfectly (I am not buying a laptop just to get it repaired every month!)
- I like the Pro's trackpad much more than the Air's
- the keyboard on the Air feels so much nicer to type on!
- I don't like the fact that the Air is much bigger (the bezels) while having the same screen size as the Pro
- I want to have at least 7 hours of battery life on the laptop
- both Macbook Air and Macbook Pro should have 256 GB because I will share the laptop with my wife
- I will store my original footage on external drives (most of the edited videos as well)
- my video editing is very casual - I record with iPhone mainly (for example summer vacation, family parties, weekend trips etc.), I usually get a total of 3-4 hours of video material (either 1080p 60fps or 4k 30fps) and I cut it to a short video which is 10-15 minutes long (same resolution and fps as the original)
- I want to be able to edit in 4k - I am aware that it is going to be sometimes hard on iMovie (or maybe I am wrong?), but Final Cut Pro has these "proxy media" thing that is supposed to make things easier and snappier - the question is can I edit 4k video with proxy media on Macbook Air or do I need Macbook Pro for that?
- before I buy Final Cut Pro I will only use iMovie for Mac - does it have this "proxy media" as well? Can I edit 4k movies in iMovie on either Macbook Air or Macbook Pro?
- I want to be able to edit 4k videos smoothly - while the longer time of exporting the final file is not an issue for me! I can wait for the export, it's not an issue
- in the near future I want to buy a drone which will shoot either 4k or 1080p footage and I want to be able to edit it either on Macbook or on iPad
- I like the Macbook Air ports, especially the regular USB and SD card reader, but I could live somehow just with 2 x USB-C on the Macbook Pro (although that Magsafe...)
- I wondered if it would be possible to edit my videos just on the iPad Pro, while having the Macbook Air for other stuff... but I am afraid that 64GB will not be enough even for casual video editing (3-4 hours of footage to be edited) and I really can't buy the 256 GB version because it exceeds my budget
- the non-laminated screen on the iPad (2017) - I can see the huge difference between this and the laminated screen and it bothers me... will I notice it in regulard day-to-day use?

If there wasn't so much negative opinions and stories of keyboard issues on the Macbook Pro, I would definately go for the first set (Macbook Pro + iPad 2017). But I need a solid keboard...

In my country (Poland) there are no Apple stores (although we can buy online directly from Apple), there are only Apple authorised resellers. Currently there is a nice discount in two of these resellers which is -11% for all Macbooks (it is valid until 4th November). So I won't be buying directly from Apple store or Apple online store, just from the resellers.

Apologies for my English, it is not my native language.

Can you help me? Which of the two sets should I buy?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
If 4K is needed then a Macbook Pro is the only way to go. You can do some editing on MBA as well, but it won't handle 4K easily. The screen of the MBA look like the colors are washed out after using the Retina screens You can do some editing editing on iPad as well, but with limitations.. Your just not gonna get full power on video editing on a tablet as you will on a laptop or desktop.

I prefer physical ports over USB-C, because USB-C dongles are more fragile to just "pop out" when u move the Mac.. But that's personal choice.

Just reading stories is one thing, but that's how "they" liked or didn't like it, not your own reason.

Apple offers 14-day return policy even if u buy from refurbished store (saves $100-$200), so buy and return within 2 weeks if you can't get used to something..

It's how I usually decide.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014

As Tech198 says if possible and time allows take a MacPro for a 14-day test drive. It was first thing the Apple employee suggested when I bought my MacBook last month. Retina screen was the clincher for me.

kissymac7

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
The world
Hi, ok as for the main use of typing I would def use the air.. the sir has an all day battery life and thats what most students use because they are at uni all day and they need to type.

I have an air 13 inch and a macbook pro retuna 15 inch
Now i edit with photshop so I cringe on any editing on the air because of lack of color accuracy. But if i need to type a paper or anything long i grab the air

Now the air is great screen if you are just typing. You cant really see the lack of retina in it. Because you would love the all day power, and its portability I would say the air.

The air can handle editing, but it just takes longer to render videos. I would buy the air and a 10.5 ipad pro. Maybe even with the keyboard for more portablity typing. Since you share it with your wife if either one of you ever need that “keyboard” use you both will have either the air or the pro.

What i did was buy a used air on ebay, you can find some good deals but im sure you are limited being international. I brought an air for 500.00 8gb 2015 and I loveeee its keyboard. But like I said photoshop editing sucks on it.

You can also get an ipad pro on ebay for a good deal

i get a good 12 hours with my air just for typing.
For your retina pleasure get the 10.5 ipad pro its future proof as to the ipad 2017

Any questions feel free to ask me
[doublepost=1508682836][/doublepost]
Hi, ok as for the main use of typing I would def use the air.. the air has an all day battery life and thats what most students use because they are at uni all day and they need to type.

I have an air 13 inch and a macbook pro retina 15 inch (2015)
Now i edit with photoshop so I cringe on any editing on the air because of lack of color accuracy. But if i need to type a paper or anything long i grab the air

Now the air is great screen if you are just typing. You cant really see the lack of retina in it. Because you would love the all day power, and its portability I would say the air.
And would screen broghtness in ms word you wouldnt notice the lack of retina.

The air can handle editing, but it just takes longer to render videos. I would buy the air and a 10.5 ipad pro. Maybe even with the keyboard for more portablity typing. Since you share it with your wife if either one of you ever need that “keyboard” use you both will have either the air or the ipad pro.

What I did was buy a used air on ebay, you can find some good deals but im sure you are limited being international. I brought an air for 500.00 8gb 2015 and I loveeee its keyboard. But like I said photoshop editing sucks on it.

You can also get an ipad pro on ebay for a good deal

i get a good 12 hours with my air just for typing.
For your retina pleasure get the 10.5 ipad pro its future proof as to the ipad 2017

Any questions feel free to ask me

me

VistulaPL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
Poland
Thank you guys!

I visited one of the Apple reseller shops yesterday to look at both Macbook Air and Macbook Pro... and I think I finally decided. I do not want that Air screen. It is so bad that my eyes did hurt just after 10 minutes. I tried reading some documents and typing in Pages for 10 minutes on each computer. The difference is just overwhelming. So I am going for Macbook Pro + iPad 9,7'' (2017). The only thing I am still afraid of is the Pro's keyboard issues. I hope I won't have them...

kissymac7

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
The world
Hi glad you was able to make it out. I understand the struggle of the air screen, I really wonder how we relied on it back in the days.
As far as the keyboard on the pro, I think you would be fine. It is def better than a macbook 12 inch keyboard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.