macBook Pro, Ipad or netbook.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by glennyboiwpg, Mar 8, 2010.

1. glennyboiwpg macrumors 6502

So i'm heading back to school next fall. Going to university.

I have a Nice Imac at home. I love it. But I want something for notes/mobile computing when i'm at the college. My first thought was a netbook because I don't want to spend a grand on a macbook pro. (I hate the white macbooks, I don't want one...)

But as I think about the netbooks, The Ipad with the new Iwork looks pretty sweet. No viruses, good wordprocesser, good battery, wirless N.

Or should I just get the cheap netbook. Put office on there and be done with it.....

Or should I get the entry level macbook pro, as the money will be worth it and I'll be more productive for it...

How is the battery life of the macbook pros anyway?

Thoughts?

2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

iPad is probably the future. If later you realize you need a netbook you will still be under the price of a Macbook Pro.

3. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

if you get the ipad, you'll be mad if you ever have to type more than a paragraph, or print something out. and i think its a good idea to have a real computer with all your stuff on it, because if ipad OS crashes half as often as iphones, you will still be fixing it every once in a while, which you need a computer for. i don't like netbooks because their keyboards and screens are just too small for me (and im using one right now, so this is definitely firsthand). i vote for the MBP.

4. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I'm in the same boat as you, however i rather need a MacBook Pro + iPad, but at the same time you don't need an iPad if you have a MacBook Pro, i think the iPad is really pretty and useful for word processing, i might think about a MacBook + iPad or Mac Mini + iPad hard choices, low budget

5. nigameash macrumors 6502

get the umb :) it ll serve u well at uni + it aint too expensive and its way better than a entry level pc notebook ;) its got 7 hours battery life i believe

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I forgot backups. I changed my recommenation. Don't get the iPad. You will hate life when it is stolen and it has all your stuff on it. Go for the Macbook Pro, the netbook by itself seems like a good idea but you might not do backups on it too and the screen size will bother you.

7. Gold89 macrumors 6502

It all depends upon how much mobile work you are doing. The iPad will be the most portable option and quickest/easiest to pull out of your bag, if all you are doing is annotating a few notes/revising things/viewing presentations then it is perfect.

Unless you can get one for a silly price I would avoid the netbook.

The MBP is the option then if you are typing a reasonable amount. :)

Different tools. :)

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

The iPad may take over some of the functions of your computer, but anyone looking for it to replace their computer is going to be disappointed and will represent part of the large volume of angry posters that will appear here post-launch when they find out the the iPad is actually a media device, just like Apple said.

Get the Macbook Pro. If that's too much money, get a cheap netbook for school work and get an iPad for watching movies.

9. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I would get a netbook with Ubuntu or a refurbished MacBook Air with an SSD almost the same price as a pro I cant imagine taking notes on an iPad.

However if you can download a digital version of your textbooks a nice netbook iPad combo would be amazing.

10. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

The iPad is not a computer. Do not get one to use as a computer. It's something to surf the net and fart around on. If you do not have a WiFi network to use with it, it will be useless.

11. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Is there a reason that you're considering a Macbook Pro but not a Macbook? You already have a workhorse at home to do the heavier lifting in the iMac... if all you want is notes and some "mobile computing", maybe consider the white Macbook? You save a little money on the MBP and have more power than the netbook (with native support for OS X instead of having to hack a netbook... if having OS X is important to you).

12. glennyboiwpg thread starter macrumors 6502

I just checked out the Canadian educational apple store...

They tack on 200 bucks.... Very disappointing. Well a new macbook pro is out of the question.

How is the educational price of a mac computer the same as the regular price of a US mac computer when our currency is 95% of the value of the US currency...

I guess if I want OSX on a laptop the macbook is my only option. Wish is sad. My partner has one and I don't really like it. I wish I still had my G4 powerbook...

Anyone know where I can get a used entry level macbook pro?

13. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Check the marketplace here, craigslist (only deal in-person, no paypal/shipping "deals"), and possibly eBay (ugh). Otherwise, you can also try the refurbished store on Apple as well other authorized Apple re-sellers (Amazon, etc.).

14. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

You could always go the hackintosh route and put OS X on a cheap netbook.

15. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

i vote for netbook :]
    really handy.....and most netbooks now lasts 6-15hrs. you can always hook them up to a monitor if you wanted a bigger screen, but i doubt it since you have an imac ^_^....hmm you can get your ipad if you wanted to too

**you can always "put" osx on your netbook if you wanted to...plus it's saving you roughly 1 grand...lol. oh yeah, it fits nicely on the desk =}