Macbook Pro is clicking off and on (mechanical)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yumid, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Yumid macrumors member

Late 2013 macbook pro.

Ill be using it and all of a sudden there is a rattling or clicking coming from inside. Almost sounds like if youre driving down the highway and your seatbelt is rattling against the side of the door. Or a clicking that comes from inside the dash of a car. I know none of this is relevant im just trying to describe the sound and thats the first thing that it reminds me of haha.

My first worry is that my SSD is going to give out on me but im completely uneducated on the topic.

Any ideas? I cant afford to have my macbook crap out on me out of nowhere right now.

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Seen the title thought HD dying off with the click of death, read SSD in post so that is impossible only other thing it can be is either cpu fan or exhaust fan doing it.

3. Yumid thread starter macrumors member

Makes sense. Is it bad to make it keep going? It's been on for about 24 hours so it might need a break. How long ish if so?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well anything mechanical that spins and is broken will only get worse with use and has a serious possibility of causing other damage to other parts of the computer.

5. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Exhaust may not matter if it dies but still should get it looked at cpu shut it off at once and fix it.