Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
I honestly kind of like the look of the vents. Having them on the back and the sides as well wouldn't bother me. But if they're no longer needed, that's cool, too.

msharp

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2004
Phat_Pat said:
the fact of the matter is that this thing is EXTREMELY fast

once you realize this you won't care about what it looks like cause you'll only be looking at the screen

yeah, damn right.

It is EXTREMELY fast, with an ugly face.

I think I wouldn't choose such things ---- I can't even concentrate when facing such ugly but powerful beast ---- I knew this the day I got my first mac.

mandis

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
UK
jadekitty24 said:
Well guys, all I can say is opinions are like butts. Everyone has them, and they all stink. 'Nuff said.

Hmm, i would say that opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one.

...hey even the new MacBook "Pro" 's got one... just look at the IR port... :p

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
codycartoon said:
can you please find me an example of when apple released a computer that is quadruple the speed of its predecessor and available for the same price?

hell, even twice the speed?

-cody

I believe the original 6100/7100/8100 series was touted as that. That was the original jump from 68x00 series processors to PowerPC. And it was the last time that Apple had performance you could boast about.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
aristobrat said:
How many people pay for broadband and also pay to maintain a dial-up account for when they visit non-broadband friends?

Yeah, I agree. Anyone owning a laptop that costs as much as this one does is most likely to have access to broadband of some sort. And if not, you always have the option of a USB modem - not as pretty, but let's be real, I'd have that MB space for something real, say FW800... :eek:

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
aristobrat said:
Originally Posted by aristobrat
How many people pay for broadband and also pay to maintain a dial-up account for when they visit non-broadband friends?

I know many people who pay for DSL and also pay for AOL for their content and to check their mail.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
ortuno2k said:
I know many people who pay for DSL and also pay for AOL for their content and to check their mail.
So do I, but the pay AOL a much reduced monthly rate because they're not using AOL's dial-up modems anymore.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
matperk said:
Alright, remove the IR reciever and you could throw in what? I think we could fit a tic-tac or two in place of it's hardware.

As for hard drive space, you are obviously correct. But how much HD space are we really talking? An extra 10 seconds of video?

I don't need to show you where you can shove your tic-tacs, but I can certainly see a firewire 800 port in place of the IRDA receiver

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
generik said:
I don't need to show you where you can shove your tic-tacs, but I can certainly see a firewire 800 port in place of the IRDA receiver
Totally agreed (well, without the tic-tac shoving). I dont want a remote or IRDA port, i want another FW 400 port or an FW 800 port. The last thing my laptop needs is an remote which would ultimately end up "remotely" located in the bottom of a desk drawer.:p

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
dernhelm said:
Yeah, I agree. Anyone owning a laptop that costs as much as this one does is most likely to have access to broadband of some sort. And if not, you always have the option of a USB modem - not as pretty, but let's be real, I'd have that MB space for something real, say FW800... :eek:

I regret the drop of the internal modem. I travel quite often and sometimes I end up in remote areas where wifi or broadband is not available and a dial up connection is required. Amongst the plethora of stuff I have to carry with me (ie: Powerbook, spare battery, digital camera, power supply, mobile phone, etc, etc) I would now have to add a bulky external modem. FW800 is a technology that most other companies have not quiet taken too and I have never had any need for, but the modem is. Well maybe in a future revision we might see the return of the internal modem. Good thing I'm waiting.

SnarkMan

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2005
Bern said:
I regret the drop of the internal modem. I travel quite often and sometimes I end up in remote areas where wifi or broadband is not available and a dial up connection is required. Amongst the plethora of stuff I have to carry with me (ie: Powerbook, spare battery, digital camera, power supply, mobile phone, etc, etc) I would now have to add a bulky external modem.

I hear ya, I'm going to have to carry one, too. But it's not really bulky. It's the size of a Shuffle.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/938/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/ma034za_125.jpg

Attachments

• ma034za_125.jpg
    ma034za_125.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 267

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Lid latch?

I am 99% certain that I heard somewhere that the lid uses a magnetic latch rather than the physical latch used in the current iBook and Powerbook series.

I don't think it was in the keynote - I think it was in one of the first writeups I read. Looking at the 15minute hands-on video on digg and the photos on the Apple site, it looks similar to the Powerbook and iBook except possibly it doesn't retract fully and is a double latch.

Som maybe it isn't a magnetic latch afterall. Anyone know any more about this?

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
generik said:

Well, some people have a use for front row and the remote. I know I will. It will be nice in the dorm.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
I bought my 15" PB on the second most recent revision. No regrets here. I have enjoyed my PB to the fullest and will continue to do so. This new book looks incredible to me, and I am impressed that it was released ahead of schedule. I don't think Apple would do something dumb like introduce a test product as the most long-awaited model in years. Surely this machine is going to spank the current books. Only thing I don't like about it is the name, but I suppose I'll get used to it :). I'll probably buy a Rev B or C 12" MB Pro. I miss my 12" PB!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.