MacBook Pro; is it worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Huntermike, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Huntermike macrumors newbie

So I'm looking into getting a MacBook Pro and I have an offer from a teacher of mine for this one:
    MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.9 13" Mid-2012 Specs (Mid-2012 13", MD102LL/A, MacBookPro9,2, A1278, 2554*) @ EveryMac.com

For 900$. My first question is, is this a fair price on this? And my second question is would it be worth it to get this one, or should I just get a brand new one? I really don't know much about these things so any help is appreciated, thanks!

Hunter

2. HipsterGG macrumors member

HipsterGG

If you want my personal opinion, I wouldn't get it.

Reason being is because it is the last non-Retina MacBook Pro, doesn't come with a SSD but instead you'll get a 5400rpm 750GB HDD (which isn't exactly the fastest one).

For $500 more (since you're a student you get a student discount which makes the Retina MacBook Pro $1399) you'll have better graphics, PCIe-bases flash storage (which is a big, big deal compared to a mechanical harddisk in terms of overall speed), a stunning retina display, longer battery life (up to 9 hours depending on what you're doing), a newer generation processor.

And it's always nice to have that 'newish' feel, it's completely yours and no one had it before. I like that feeling, but that could just be me.

But if you don't to spend that amount of money for a new laptop and just want to do a bit of web browsing, watching series/movies and schoolwork it's a good go except for the price. I'd give $750 max. for it.

Good luck with your decision.

^H

3. Sicutz macrumors member

Maybe the price is OK (I didn´t look after the price), but you will not be happy, if you get the chance to try out one of the new models.

If you buy a new retina one, like my macbook:
    13" Retina, 256gb/8gb
    the quality is better, the system is faster and you can resell it later for a better price.

Also you know, what the computer needed to do - I mean, you don´t now what your teacher did with his macbook, maybe it´s close to get a battery issue, because he was slappy with the battery.
    You´ll never know.

Of cause there is the price, if you can afford 1500$ for a brand new 13" Retina model, I think this is the better deal.
    You even get the chance to buy apple care.

So:

+
    -new technology
    -> better battery life, better quality etc
    -retina display
    -apple care option aviable
    -it´s new
    -higher resell value
    -much faster (SSD, new Ram)
    -you can choose what you want (cpu,ram,ssd - even 15", if you want to spend at least 2000$)
    (education discount)

-
    -price
    -no drive

greetings

4. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

Apple refurb site currently has a base 2013 13" for $1099. Just sayin'.

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

And a refurb comes with 14 day return, full warranty, and is eligible for AppleCare Hold off until fall tax free weekend (varies by state) and save the sales tax.

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

If you are going to use the machine for regular layman tasks, you are better off getting a MacBook Air. If you need something more powerful, starting with a 2 generation old machine is not the way to go anyways.

7. Mcguyver macrumors newbie

I wouldn't consider to take up the offer, I fully agree with you guys on this one. I just bought late 2013 rMBP 13" 8/512 GB from another person last week, I wanted to wait for the new release rMBP Broadwell but seems like is not happening in 2014. I came across this offer from a website and I thought it was a good deal as the ex owner was selling at a loss of one third of the original retail price and come with a 3 years warranty till Dec 2016. Anyway, I can still sell it off at end 2014 recoup a little cash to fund my next rMBP 2015 model.