Macbook pro - Is it worth the money?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hackster, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Hackster macrumors member

Hackster

Hello everyone! Im new here, and my english isnt very good, so bear with me!

Im looking at a 2nd hand macbook pro late 2009 unibody model with intel core 2 duo 2,26ghz, 2gb ram and 160gb.
    The laptop has 2-3 very light scratches on the lid, and has some minor scratches and 2 dents on the bottom. When you open the macbook pro itself, it is very clean, no scratches or dents. The laptop comes from a smoking-free home, and the battery lasts around 4-5 hours. Im about to pay around 900 dollars for it, and im planning to use it for three years from now. Is it worth the money? It has no Warranty , and as written i intend to use it for three years. Thanks in advance.

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Your english is just fine. The fact that you can get a much better configuration from Apple at only $1099 (including the student discount which I'm sure you can find someone to help you out with), you are better off getting that one. If you do not want to do that, consider looking at Apple refurbs for the new models. I don't think that 2GB ram and 160GB HDD are worth it - forget the processor which isn't i5.

3. cinek macrumors 6502

imo it's too much but I'm not an expert. You can get a brand new one for just $300 more. 2GB ram isn't much these days, so you'll probably have to upgrade it. Btw you didn't mention the screen size, so I mentioned the price of the 13"

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=MTM3NjU5MzU

4. Hackster thread starter macrumors member

Hackster

Thanks! Well, please ignore the price, since im from denmark so we cant really compare the price with the us price. I just want to know, can i trust this laptop which is 1½ year old for 3 years use? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: If i order the laptop from apple for 1200, we would have to add around 600 dollars for shipping and danish tax

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

Ahh you should have mentioned that earlier. I still feel it is overpriced but I would't really know because it depends on how many are being sold in the market around you. If there is a craigslist or such or even ebay or something for Denmark, you should try that first. I can only compare to the US price and based on that it is a rip off but you may not have a choice.

6. Hackster thread starter macrumors member

Hackster

well, im actually buying it of an ebaysite for denmark. And i cant find a price which can compare to this price. So this is my question at the moment, look away from the price: Can i trust this laptop which is 1½ year old for 3 years use? Its A 13" late 2009 macbook pro

7. Hackster thread starter macrumors member

Hackster

Im in a bit of a hurry :s please i need an answer.

8. Blues003 macrumors 6502

I would say "definetly" if you were willing to buy 2*2GB of RAM and possibly a bigger HDD. If not, I'm not sure that can last 3 years: depends on the kinds of tasks you want it to do. What would be its uses?

9. Hackster thread starter macrumors member

Hackster

Well, this year it wont be used too much. So im planning on waiting till next year around september and buy some more ram 4 or 8gb, and an ssd. Ill buy an external HD aswell. It will be used for college, writing documents, programming (havent started yet, so i dont know the programs), watching movies, surfing and a bit of bootcamp for windows 7 issues.

10. Blues003 macrumors 6502

I'd say it'd be comfortable for everything except for the final points you made. Programming can be quite CPU-intensive, and so can Bootcamp.

11. Hackster thread starter macrumors member

Hackster

Can you tell me how i can erase everything of it? the seller has dropped the recovery cd, so it has to be without formatting atm, since the seller just wants his private stuff deleted.

12. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i don't think that's worth it, really. you'd get a much better deal at the refurb store in my opinion.

13. SdPunk macrumors member

I agree. I would go with a refurb or a new one using the student discount, buy a new one.

14. Hackster thread starter macrumors member

Hackster

In denmark, The baseline mbp 13" is around 1900$. And we also have no refurb shop. So 900 is more than half the price.

15. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

that's rough, because $900 for a scratched up/dented 2.26ghz/2gb/160gb macbook with no warranty is a big steal for the other guy. i just don't think it's a good deal for you at all, i would just keep your money if that's your only option.

16. Blues003 macrumors 6502

Take a low-cost 1-cent trip to some other country, buy a new MBP for 1300$, and come back with another 1-cent :D

17. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Yeah this is not a good deal all around. I know you're anxious, but don't buy this one. Continue looking around for a better deal.

18. palpatine macrumors 68040

buying a used computer is a huge risk. buying one in the condition you described, with those specs, without a warranty is a waste of money at any price. it sounds like a real headache. buy a refurbished one from apple. or, a new one if you can afford it.

19. Kashika macrumors regular

Look for a macbook pro on amazon.co.uk.

They should offer free shipping for every order above 25 pounds (at least they do to the Netherlands).

Otherwise shipping shouldn't be much anyways.

20. Hackster thread starter macrumors member

Hackster

I think i wont be satisfied by the design of it, if it has scratches and dents. So i think imma jump over this one.
    Thank you guys. Love you <3

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

there are probably better deals out there ... but to answer your question about it lasting for 3 more years

It should be working just fine in 3 years