Macbook Pro is really a cooker!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gooden, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Gooden macrumors member

Hello all.

I am having some serious overheating problems with my Macbook pro 13" while playing WoW and css...it starts off ok then just goes through the roof, here is a picture of iStat whilst having been on WoW for about 20 mins

[​IMG]

Any ideas what I can do? Because at times its slowing down my game and lagging me, do you think its a fault? Also the fan is usually running 6200RPM!

Thanks

2. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

There is no overheating issues. If the machine is powering down then worry. I can get my MBP up to 85C and stay there while editing video. Trying to get as much air between the base and the desk as you can. Think about a desk stand.

3. Gooden thread starter macrumors member

ah right ok, can you recommend any type of desk stand? Also is there anything I can use to improvise until I get one?

Thanks

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MRoogle will give you some threads about desk stands.

Btw, you could try to make your fan spin faster, either with SMC Fan Control or with Fan Control, as of no, it only spins at 3xxx RPM, but it is capable of 6000 RPM.

5. Gooden thread starter macrumors member

Thanks spin.

Will making the fans run fast, affect my laptop in anyway at all? I guess it doesn't but just want to be safe :)

6. Collected macrumors regular

I've read in a few places that it's a good idea to limit the FPS in WoW to help with overheating issues. I think 50 FPS is the limit they recommend which makes no difference to the gameplay but helps the heat issue.

Perhaps try:

/console maxfps 50

And see if you notice any differences.

7. RT2020 macrumors regular

1) Lift it off the ground a couple inches or so.
    4) Download SMC FanControl and set the fans to run higher
    3) Undervolt the processor using CoolBook (this will make a big difference, but takes the most work.

8. shortys408 macrumors regular

if your feeling daring you can replace the thermal paste.

9. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Don't get a Cooling pad, they don't work since it has no fans in the bottom and no pad takes you to the hinge, just make some feet for it, i use sometimes some two bottle lids i put under the back feet and that's a free nice way to keep it cooler and also have a better position

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

And if your playing on your lap, make sure the vent on the hinge is not covered. A good way to ensure this is to spread your legs, exposing the vent.

*Playing in a cooler room would also help.

11. blomma macrumors member

blomma

Stands for mac

If you are looking for a stand i can recommend Griffin Elevator. I have one myself and i am very pleased with it.

mStand by Rain Design also seems nice.

But if you are on a budget, you can just take something like a door stopper and prop the mac up, the added airflow under it will help.

12. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

A little desk fan blowing on the computer to help circulate a bit more air helps, as well as getting the computer propped up a bit as already mentioned. I also use smcfancontrol. On idle I have the fan set to 2000rpm, when doing a bit of work or skype/video up to 4100rpm and then when playing any game up to 6200rpm. Once I am done, set it back to idle. smcfancontrol will let you set the speeds to whatever you choose (up to 6200rpm).

Or you could always play in a walk in freezer. :D

13. johnclevenger macrumors newbie

This is _not_ true. You CPU will shut itself down way past it's maximum safe temperature. For instance, my c2d's max temp (its thermal junction max) is 105 degrees Celsius. At this temperature the CPU begins throttling itself to avoid damage. Prolonged exposure to this temperature will degrade performance and decrease lifespan. The shutdown temp is about 125 degrees Celsius. At this temperature there is definite risk of eminent damage, which is why the CPU shuts off. It's absolutely _not_ okay to run the thing between the tjmax and the shutdown temp, no matter what Apple's Genuii may say.

14. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

why would you let your laptop get up to 105 degrees anyways?

15. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

My SR 2.4 hits 100C quite easily now :( Even if held in the air with fans @ max.

Dusty as :/

16. johnclevenger macrumors newbie

My CPU (2.53 GHz c2d) was between 107 C and 110 C for quite awhile today as I tried to show the Genuii at the bar that I've got a problem. Of course, those numbers meant nothing to them. "Irrelevant" was how one of them described the temps. What they care about is if the diagnostic software they've got indicates a problem or if your components fail. In fact, the paperwork they gave me indicates that, yes, they saw it was running at 105 C (it was actually running higher), but that Apple has no internal documents which indicate that this is a problem.

17. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Hahaha. Good advice.

18. RT2020 macrumors regular

And then people wonder why their logic boards crap out so often? Heat is a BIG issue on apple products... just look at this http://timecapsuledead.org/

I Use SMC fan control and run my fans at 3,000 for most work, or higher if I am doing rendering, etc.

Fans go for $30 on ebay....I don't have money for a new logic board though.

19. johnclevenger macrumors newbie

I use fan control too, but it's not an appropriate solution in my eyes. Something is wrong with the thermal solution on my MBP. If I run Prime95, then my CPU temp goes up to 109C - 110C. The fans kick in after a while (5-10 minutes) and will bring the temp down to 105C-ish. Sometimes it takes even longer for the fans to reach max RPMs and, when they do, the temps will stabilize at about 98C-105C, depending on the situation. Fan control helps, but running at those temps long term isn't, you know, good.