Macbook Pro is shut down but Fans are still running.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by reficuz, Aug 22, 2010.

1. reficuz macrumors newbie

Hello everyone
    I'm new to this forum and I wasn't sure where to post this.

Like 3 days ago I shut down my macbook pro normally. I closed the lid and I noticed that the sleep indicator light was on. I opened the lid and the light went off. I closed the lid again and the light went on again. I got closer to the computer and the fans and drives inside were still running. The only thing I did was to hold the power button down until it shut. This has happened to me 3 times already. I'm kind of worried because I got the computer 2 weeks ago and I'm really happy with it.
    I think I'm going to call Apple Support tomorrow but I want to know if anybody has had this same problem before.

Thanks in advance

My computer is a 2010 13' Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard, not sure what version it is.

2. celticpride678

I think the computer has to reach a certain temperature before it can sleep or be shut down to avoid thermal issues.

3. reficuz thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow that was a quick response!!
    Thanks but why didnt this happen before?
    I mean like right after I got it.

4. celticpride678

You probably did something that kicked up the fans/heat on the computer (like watch a video).

5. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Correct.

However, on my laptop, whe this happens the sleep light doesn't come on until the fan has stopped. The OP seems to be saying (correct me if I'm wrong) that the sleep light came on and the fans were still going - which I don't think is normal. If that's the case, I'd get it checked out to be safe.

6. reficuz thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right FourCandles. But the light only comes on when I close the lid. If I open it, it goes off. Is that normal?