macbook pro.... is this normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mr. feeny, Feb 2, 2008.

1. mr. feeny macrumors member

my macbook pro is only 2 weeks old today, and when its shut, the right side of the screen doesn't sit flush like the left side does. I cant remember if i read something bout that being normal on the MBP's or not so any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. toxthexnines macrumors regular

toxthexnines

Ive had mine since August of 06 and mine is a little bit high on the right and left side. But ive come to live with it.

3. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

My new MacBook pro is exactly the same - except it's the opposite way round.

My left side has a slightly bigger gap between the screen and the case, meaning I can push on it and sort of "rock" the left side. The right side is fine. I also have a couple of wonky keyboard keys, do you?

4. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

OMG

I thought this highly elevate right side was due to my speck see thru case, do any of you guys have a speck see thru, maybe thats the cause. but i ignore it.

5. saschke macrumors 6502

OMG

Apple should really get its act together quality control wise...

:rolleyes:

6. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Nope, no case here. And it's my left side that's higher up when closed (when looking from the front at the latch).

7. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

So its not the case, but the right side is higher here, i wonder if apple knows about this.

8. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

My left side is slightly elevated off of the case, but barely. None of my keys are wonky.

I would guess that this kind of thing is more likely with a mechanical latch.

I think it just means my left side latch isn't as good as the right.

The number of little things wrong with Apple machines really kind of surprises me. I guess their quality control really has gone down.

9. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

But their popularity, and innovation has made it great. So what, my imac has crappy speakers, I bought bose companion 2's, im happy, nothings perfect. You have to work with :apple:, and think like :apple:, and eat:apple:'s :rolleyes::p

10. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

11. mr. feeny thread starter macrumors member

i thought i read it somewhere, and couldnt remember maybe it was deja vu about this post haha. But its ncie to know im not the only person who has this problem. Thanks for your hep guys.

12. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

The most annoying thing is that when you pick it up when it's closed, he lid doesn't feel very solid and flexes/rocks, because of this problem. I'm not sure it's latch related...the right side doesn't move when pressed, the left side does...looking straight at it, flat on, it seems that the lid isn't completely straight when lined up with the case.

Also, anyone hate how the Num Lock green light doesn't light up the whole "num lock" words (just half of them), and also bleeds onto F5? :p

13. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

The slight gap between the lid and the bottom of the laptop on the left side isn't a deal breaker for me, but I wouldn't put up with wonky keys and I'm not going to put up with this screen yellowing issue, either :)

I expect more from :apple: than I would from Dell or HP because of the premium associated with their products.

14. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I don't think they have Num Lock keys anymore though.

15. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Yes, they do. My MBP is all of 5 days old :)

16. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Thankfully, I don't have the yellowing issue. But, my backlight (15" LED) is slightly lighter around the top and bottom.

I also have the gap problem (not enough to notice to look at, but when you pick it up, the left side rocks/moves if you press against it, which is annoying).

My 2 wonky keys are also only slightly wonky. I'm just very picky, must people wouldn't even notice - or care. To be honest, if you put the keyboard backlight on full, you'll probably notice that most (if not all) MBP keyboards are barely perfect - the randomly spaced lines of light shining up through the rows of keys will show you that everything isn't 100% straight and lined up. Perfection with something mass made in China is surely extremely hard to achieve.

I am slightly annoyed that this machine I've spent so much money on isn't perfect - but I have to lower my expectations, or I'll just be constantly dissapointed. They are mostly minor issues at the end of the day.

17. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Well the new MB's don't, and the mbp's i saw in the store don't.

18. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Well mine does :) It's on F6.

I also just Googled MacBook Pro and looked at 2 random images, and those had a num lock on F6 too...

It makes sense, otherwise if you're using the embedded numeric keypad for calculator/spreadsheets or something, you'd have to have your finger on the fn button all the time!

19. a4abt macrumors regular

I have the same issue, except both sides won't sit flush. No big deal, I can live with that as long as everything works perfectly :p

20. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

You have the same MBP as me - do you have Num Lock on F6? :p

21. a4abt macrumors regular

Yes, I have "Num Lock" on F6! Why do you ask???

22. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Because (re. num lock):-

:)

23. a4abt macrumors regular

24. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Yes it is normal, I have had four MacBook Pros and they all have done the exact same thing!