Macbook Pro is too expensive in EU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by passenger, Jul 19, 2011.

1. passenger macrumors newbie

Just to clear things up - this is not a hate thread. I fell in love with Mac Pro ever since they announced the current unibody design. It's stunning, and most importantly quite sturdy. Then I did some research and found out that the battery life is one of the best on the market, and really liked the feel of OSX. It would be a fun and painless switch for experienced computer user like me. I simply love everything about the Macbook Pro.

Now to the point of this thread. Mac Pro is simply too expensive in my region. I understand that USA has student deals which make it even more affordable, but even the base price which starts at 1799$ for 15" model (according to official site) is affordable for me. I could get one today if that was the price here. Of course they go by the model $ = € and they want us to pay 1749€ for it, which is around 2456$. That's a fortune, and such a theft makes me mad.

They have discounted last year 15" Pro's, and sell it at the rough price of current Pro's in USA. That's ridiculous.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's too expensive in the U.S. too. What else is new?

Buy a refurb.

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Actually no e.g. here in Denmark the 13MBP costs around 1700USd in comparison to 1200 thats a huge difference

4. Philflow macrumors 65816

Several sellers on Ebay sell below Apple official pricing.

5. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

And around the wheel we go with this again...

A 13" Macbook Pro costs DKK 7199,20 or $1368 + VAT.

Sure they cost more since it costs more to do business in some countries, but you cannot blame Apple for the massive price differences due to your country's tax code.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Exactly. People often rant about Apple's EU prices but what they forget is that the VAT is included in our prices. The US price does not include tax because US has sales tax which is state specific. The sales tax is generally less than our VAT and some resellers sell Macs without charging the sales tax. However, we can only blame our beloved governments for the high prices.

7. Philflow macrumors 65816

Sales tax in most EU countries is ± 19%.

The price difference between US and Denmark seems to be 42%. (13" MBP)