Macbook Pro issue while installing OS X from Disc 2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by voken, Nov 15, 2011.

1. voken macrumors newbie

My MBP crashed a week back so bought the new SATA drive Seagate Momentus and installed it. First I tried installing the OS X by holding the CMD + C button, but it didn't work, so finally tried the CMD + Option + P+R and it recognized the disc 1 and took me to OS X Installer screen. For recognizing the drive I used the Disk Utility and finally after 3 hrs was able to complete Disc 1. Then when asked to insert Disk 2, I did and after 2 hrs or so, it popped out saying the installation didn't go thru.

Now when I switch on the Macbook, it shows back that 'Please Insert the "Mac OS X Install Disc 2" and when disc 2 is inserted it waits for 5 mts or so, and pops out the CD back !

Is there a way I can clean/erase the harddrive and start over ? If so how do I do that ? I tried inserting disc 1 back and holding CMD + C and also tried CMD +Option +P+R, but nothing took me to Disk Utility !!

Appreciate any help !!

2. psykick5 macrumors 6502

3. voken thread starter macrumors newbie

No, its Tiger v 10.4.5. Its earlier version when MacBook Pro first got released around Jan 2006.

4. voken thread starter macrumors newbie

I feel that disc 2 might be corrupted and I want to start over by erasing the hardrive and start with disc 1, but issue is what ever I try, the system brings me back to that - Insert the "Mac OS X Install Disc 2" display.

Is there any way I can erase harddrive and start over by bypassing that insert disc2 message ?

5. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Unless you have some specific reason not to, you ought to upgrade to Snow Leopard. My friend has Lion running on a revision 2 macbook pro (core2duo) and it works great. Snow Leopard of course ran better. Tiger had Intel support shoehorned halfway through, so in terms of optimization it doesn't compare.

Yes it sounds like the disc may be the problem. Does it have visible signs of wear on the underside?

6. voken thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the discs are almost new. No signs of wear at all. I don't have Snow Leopard, but do have Leopard.

Now even if I have to start over, I can't go past the Insert disc2 display !!! I want to erase the harddrive and start over...any way I can do that ? Thanks again.

7. heisenberg123, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011

heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

8. voken thread starter macrumors newbie

It spins for a while and then pops out the disc1 and asks for disc2 !! and when I insert disc2 it holds onto it for a few mts and pops the disc2 out as well !

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

so CMD-C on bootup does not let you go to disk utility?

10. voken thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I tried both options - CMD+C and just C as well. It shows blank screen for a few mts while its trying to read the disc 1, and then disc just pops out and at the same time, I see the apple logo and loading OS X and imm'dly then ends up with the 'Mac OS X Install disc 2' message !!!

If I try inserting disc 2, then after 3 or 4 mts, it just pops out the disc 2 as well !

I just want to erase and start over, but its not letting me get to disk utility !!

Do we have any options that I can try with fsck ? I tried singleuser mode and then "/sbin/fsck -fy" - it said the volume is OK !! but can I clean the drive using that mode ?