Macbook Pro issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nylee, Dec 11, 2012.

1. nylee macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I'm having problem with my macbook pro. Please refer to the screenshot below. What you see is what I've been getting on my screen recently. This happened at least once a day now after the laptop is on for a while. The weird colors and pattern would just show up for no reason, and the whole desktop would freeze up on me. So I had to hold down the power button to turn off, then waited for a while before restarting the computer.
    I brought it to Genius, but they got no answer for me (plus warranty expired).
    Have you seen this problem before? Any suggestion?
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

3. nylee thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried all three ways before, but still wouldn't fix the issue.
    I can't bring the laptop back to store anymore since it's 6-year-old and they've said nothing can be done.
    If the GPU is the real problem, wouldn't it just kill my computer right away?

4. vicky07 macrumors newbie

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Hmm - I'd place a small wager that you have one of the models that were fitted with an Nvidia 8600M GT GPU. If so, the problem is that the GPU overheats and eventually delaminates from the logic board - this is an Nvidia design fault, not an Apple one.

There was a recall on these (which has now expired I believe). I had a 17" MBP replaced outside of warranty because of this problem.

If you DON'T have the 8600M GT, then all bets are off. It could possibly be a problem with the ribbon between logic board and panel, but it still looks more like a GPU fault to me.

6. nylee thread starter macrumors newbie

So if it's a GPU fault, does that mean there's nothing else I could do?
    Is it time to get a new pc?

----------

By the way, I have a ATI Radeon X1600.
    Does that mean anything to anyone?

7. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I had this same issue with an old Titanium PowerBook 800MHz a few years back. The problem was aggravated by moving the unit while it was being used, and pressure over the GPU usually remedied the screen distortion (though the computer would remain frozen).

Definitely looks like the CPU got too hot and probably loosened the solder on the bottom of the chip. Do you often use graphically intensive programs or work in hot environments?

8. nylee thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't use intensive program or in hot environment. But my laptop does get pretty warm after few minutes of usage bcoz it's 6-year-old model.

9. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

The only thing that would fix it would be the logic board, expensive.

I agree it might be time for something new.

----------