Macbook Pro Issues - Should Apple offer me a replacement unit?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lhlee96, Jan 5, 2010.

1. lhlee96 macrumors member

lhlee96

I have had multiple issues with my Macbook Pro over the past 6 months.

The last time I brought my MBP to an official Apple Store (which was in Sydney) was in late August.

They had replaced my screen due to dust particles which were stuck under the glass.

They had also replaced my logic board, as my computer would turn off 5-10 minutes later if it was not connected to a power source.

While replacing my logic board, the technician had scratched the bottom case of my MBP. They offered to replace it, and the replacement had a deep gouge. They offered to replace it again, but this time, there was staining on the case.

Of course, they offered to replace it for the third time. When I went back to the store to pick it up, they told me all of the bottom case units had some sort of staining on them, and the one which was stained was the one least stained out of the rest.

They had also ironed out the problem with my screen (as it would flicker when I tilted it back) after they returned the bottom case to me for the second time.

The Genius told me that that was the best he could do, and they would consider a replacement unit if a technical (not cosmetic, he stressed) problem would come up -in the near future-.

Four months later, my screen is again clogged up with dust (and no, I do not work in a dusty environment!). My speakers have a problem (they have a cheap sound, this happened while I was playing World of Warcraft in the middle of battle, it was normal one moment, cheap sounding the next.)

I am about to go back to Sydney (I live in Shanghai, but I will soon move to Sydney), and demand that they either replace my screen, replace my speakers (or fix them), and replace my bottom case, or give me a replacement unit with NO problems.

So, opinions and advice, please?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Try to deal with the same technician you dealt with before, as he seems mildly sympathetic to your case already. If that doesn't work, try the phone support and if you don't get what you want just ask for their superior. You're not guaranteed anything, however.

3. lhlee96 thread starter macrumors member

lhlee96

Apple's phone support is rubbish. They always redirect me to their India lines and I can barely understand what they are saying. I am still waiting for a reply to my call I made in August.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's because you made the mistake of letting them call you back at their leisure. I've almost always gotten better results with phone support than in person. plus if it works out on the phone it might save you a trip.

5. lhlee96 thread starter macrumors member

lhlee96

I'm going to Sydney anyway, though.
    Thanks for your help- do you think they'll just fix it? If I demand they replace my unit, will they? I mean, I've had a lot of issues.

6. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

on your way to sydney, go ahead and call apple customer service. tell them your problem, the worst they can say is no and then you can ask the technician again. from my understanding, apple corporate customer service has an easier time authorizing a replacement.