Macbook Pro issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hersheyz, Oct 15, 2015.

1. hersheyz macrumors newbie

Hello guys.

I accidentally spilled water on my macbook that's barely a year old. It was turned off when that happened and i think some water entered it through the hinge. As i was in a rush to go somewhere, i just left it there, hoping the water will dry up on its own.

The next day, i tried turning it on to do my work and it didn't turn on. I ended up sending it to an authorized apple store and told them i accidentally spilled water on it. I got it back a few days later and they said it's just the lcd that's having issues.

However, after a couple of hours using it on the same day that i got it back, it crashed on me again. I sent it back and they gpt back to me a few days later, emailing me a picture of the main logic board with liquid submersion indicators tripped. They quoted me a price of 1200USD, inclusive of labour charges, to get a replacement of the 2.6GHz logic board for the 13" Retina MacBook Pro. I decided not to fix it because it's too expensive to fix! I'm just a college student, with no income and a huge debt.

Is there any way that i can fix it? Should i try sending it to another repair center, especially since they did not show me in person the logic board of my macbook? I do not have a pentalobe screwdriver so i can't check it and i'm not tech-savvy enough to deal with such issues.

Could anyone please give me advice on what to do?

Attached Files:

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

There are endless videos on you tube of how to fix a water damaged laptop, I suggest you take a look at a few of those. There are also some guides on iFixit.

It may be possible with pure alcohol and a detailed cleanup of any corroded components but it's no guaranteed fix.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Two things, since you turned it on multiple times with water present, its quite possible the logic board is damaged, i.e., components shorted out. The only way to really fix that is replace it.

Since you say yourself you're not technical savy, I think your only option is to have Apple fix it (or buy a new/used laptop)

4. hersheyz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys. I didn't have time to research on what to do with the damaged laptop as I was busy with school. I'm just going to bring it down to another store and see how it goes! Hopefully, the repair charges/replacement won't be too expensive? Oh well.

But once again, thank you!

Edit: Is it possible that that picture of the logic board is not even mine? That thought occurred to me after I read that such scams had happened before. But since it's an authorized Apple store, that's highly unlike right?