MacBook Pro (June '09) Screen 'Dithering' Problem.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Popfry, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Popfry macrumors newbie

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't tell from the pictures you provided, but you do realize the MBP uses 6bit display panels so its incapable of displaying images with millions of colors. Instead it dithers them.

As I mentioned, I'm not sure if you're referencing that or another issue, given the images you posted are showing the full image.

3. Popfry thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm aware it uses dithering, but I couldn't think of any other word to describe it. My older MBP would not show the same issue.

For example: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

For me, 2a/b and 4a/b flicker pretty violently.

That second picture from Picasa is what the overall image looks like even when viewed from a good foot away, it's only really ever displayed on moving images or if there is a static image and you physically move your head side to side.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well then why not take it to the applestore or contact applecare on this matter?

If the laptop is not functioning as expected, you'll be better off talking to them to get it resolved. I doubt very much its a software issue, but a hardware problem, and if that is the case no amount of posting on forums will help you. Ring them up and see what they say.

5. darrellishere macrumors 6502

Well I have the Pixel Walk and it seems to be the lines issue on macbook airs, so I don't think a trip to the apple store would help unless its a blatant fault with the lcd or it connections. Mind you from your pictures it dose look pretty wrong!!!!

6. Popfry thread starter macrumors newbie

Called Apple since I received it yesterday and they are replacing it as we speak.

It's pixel walk for sure then, but horrifically bad.

7. ryanvsrobots macrumors member

can you elaborate on how they are fixing it and what you did to get them to fix it?

8. m85476585 macrumors 65816

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They're fixing it by replacing the display panel and/or any defective circuitry related to the display panel.

10. Popfry thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope.

They're replacing the entire notebook. Brand new one being shipped to me.

11. ryanvsrobots macrumors member

you think they would give me a june 09 if i got mine in march? i don't know if i want the sealed in battery...