Macbook Pro June 2007 15", fans @ 100% whilst charging!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Inconsequential, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Basically im sure this can't be normal but anyway.

Whenever the laptop is fast charging (IE battery less than 80%) and I have my iPhone plugged in charging, the fans ramp up to 100% and stay there, i've never left it running like this to fully charged because I like my sleep :p

But anyway, unplug the iPhone, and after 5 mins, the fans start slowing (really REALLY slowly...) to what my Fan Control software sets (It is NOT the fan software doing this, it modifies the minimum fan speed that the SMC can set the fan to and at looking at the SMC values, min fan speed is 2500 (which is what the program says it should be) and the current fan speeds are 6000...

Temperatures all look normal (although mem controller seems to go up by 5C for no apparent reason...).

Anybody have the same issue or is it a back to apple for repair?

Cheers!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You need to uninstall your fan control system and see if the problem persists. Only this can eliminate it as the problem.
    You can download iStat to watch your fan speeds and temps if you haven't already.

3. Inconsequential thread starter macrumors 68000

I *know* it isn't the fan control software. Its the SMC changing the fan speeds, and I think I know why now.

Memory Controller temperatures rise by 20C (43 to 63C!) and Airport card temps rise 12C (46 to 58C!).

Either that is where the power management is located and is incorrectly labelled as memory controller and the airport card is just near that location I just don't know.

As the fans change from my base 2000RPM to 4500RPM the temps of the Memory controller fall by 4C to 59C and airport card drops 3C to 60C.

4. Animalk macrumors 6502

The battery heats up when being charged. The RAM sticks are right beside it and I wouldn't be surprised if the wiring for the power is built into the logic board and passes right next to the chips.

Very Normal behavior. Though my fans usually don't go over 4800rpm in such a situation. I wouldn't worry.