MacBook Pro June 2009 model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AndrewR23, Mar 8, 2011.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I want to back it up but I am kind of a newb with this and Apple makes no sense (Im not tech savvy)

How exactly do I back up?? Can anyone dumb it down? I DO have time machine

Is this correct....getting a blank disc or even a USB and backing it up to the USB using Time machine??? My battery life is horrible....and my computer freezes a lot (on sites like ESPN or youtube) and I need to take it in but I want to back it up first.

Thank you

2. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Connect a USB external hard drive & backup using Time Machine. :)

3. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

How much was yours? Is that the only thing to back it up on?

4. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

When I click time machine...it says select backup disc...what is that?? then i click okay and select set up time machine and it scans for something using airport.

5. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

the back up disk is where you will save your backup

to be clear time machine is a program that comes with your mac that makes backups really easy

BUT

you need to have a back up drive in order to make this work. A CD/DVD or a USB thumb drive (those small sticks you stick into USB ports) are not usually appropriate because when you make a back of your whole computer (the operating system plus your personal files) you need more space.

I recommend getting an external hard drive (if you don't already have one). If you go to a place like best buy you can ask for one and I'm sure they'll help you find a good one. I'm using a 250GB external with my macbook and time machine and it works great.

your external drive will be your backup disk in time machine

hope that made sense!

6. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

perfect, both of you, thank you for helping...Idk how to close threads but oh well lol.