MAcbook Pro - just bought - need input!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Emanuele, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Emanuele macrumors member

Hi all!

Some fast help would be greatly appreciated! :)

I just bought a Macbook Pro Unibody (late 2008, 2.53Ghz, 4 GB Ram, 300GB HDD) on ebay for $1500. It came only with the charger, but it is really mint.

Anyway, the auction was for a 17" one, so i was really puzzled when I received the 15"....anyway, long story short, the guy is really nice, and had no idea that it was a 15", so I can just send it back and it will refund the complete amount.

Problem is: should I just keep it? Is it a good deal? I cannot make up my mind!

Thank you!
    E.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That is a good deal! If you've gone through the computer to find any problems and didn't, I would keep it unless you were really in the market for the 17". The only con (if you can call it that) is that you won't be able to run 8GB of RAM. If you're not worried about that and are fine with 4GB then you should definitely keep it.

3. Emanuele thread starter macrumors member

Thanks iLog.Genius! :)

I turned on the computer several times and didn't find any issues with it. In any case it is still under apple warranty until October 2009, so I should be all set.
    It has the new 9600 video card as well, so I'm set even there.

So...keep it uhu?
    :)

E.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah I would. I mean that's just me, wait for others to chime and you'll get a better idea. Also, don't look at would could change or what you can or can't add later, compare what the price was with it was first introduced and what you got it at - you can't future proof.

5. Gloor macrumors 6502a

the new 15" MBP do support 8gb ram

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I believe the OP has the 2.53 GHz model before the spec bump, I don't think it officially supports it from reading the 8GB thread...

7. Emanuele thread starter macrumors member

Yep, I have the 2.53 Model, from Late 2008.
    I really would not need 8GB of RAM.
    4Gb is really plenty enough for me....

:) Alright, I'll wait for others to chime in I guess!

8. aljlin macrumors regular

Oops! Though late 2008 unibody does mean it can only be 15" as the 17" unibody design only got released a month or a month and a half ago. My question would be - do you need 17" screen? What would you be using the computer for? Some people do utilize the larger screen more readily than others... Personally I have a 15" because I personally think that 17" despite the thinness of the mbp's are still a tad to big for me, but that's personal opinion and I wouldn't utilize a 17" very well. Only you can say how the 17" screen would suit your needs. Have you tried using it for what you want it for?

For such a relatively new computer, I would say you got a good price on it, and unless you need the 17" inch screen I would say go ahead and keep the computer. You can always buy applecare for the computer while it's in warranty to extend it if you are worried about it. Applecare can be bought any time while the computer is still in service. If you're in school, check educational discounts on applecare - they're usually pretty good.

9. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

It's still a good deal for the 15" 2.53. I would run the Disk Utility and Hardware test to confirm there are no issues and keep it if it's clean. The refurbished goes for $2099. plus tax on the online Apple Store. Congrats, enjoy your new computer.

10. santos79 macrumors regular

Not just the 2.53 Ghz model, Genius. NONE of the 15-inch Macbooks officially support 8GB.

11. Emanuele thread starter macrumors member

Thank you aljilin and tcphoto!

Aljilin: I was looking for a 17" because I do solid modeling (for school under XP) and the added area is a very nice addition, but I can live with the 15" one. I also do some outreach programs sometimes and usually show pictures on my laptop (I have a beaten up 13.3 Macbook ).

Tcphoto: how would I run those diagnostic programs? Specially hardware test, I have never seen that one!

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

To run the Apple Hardware Test, on boot up and before the chime, press and hold down the "D" key until you get to a blue screen that says "Apple Hardware Test".

13. Emanuele thread starter macrumors member

NIce! Thank you!
    I'm "verifying the disk" right now and will run the hardware test soon afterwards!

:)

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Unless you need the higher res screen you could tell the guy you'll keep it if he paypals you $200.

15. Emanuele thread starter macrumors member

hmm, not sure he will agree on that. We have already "talked" a lot about it so I'll just leave everything as it is and will just keep the Macbook Pro!
    The screen does not bleed much at all, so I'm happy there!

E.

16. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it was a great deal so just keep it and buy the 24" ACD.

17. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

My fault. Quickly reading over the 8GB thread, I thought the newer 15-inch were supported. Looks like only the 17-inch is the only official supporter.