Macbook Pro just got stolen - what do i do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evaporateddwarf, Feb 18, 2012.

1. evaporateddwarf macrumors regular

My MBP got stolen out of my car yesterday. I now have to figure out what to do. I need a laptop, as I don't know if I can even go through this week without one. My dilemma is that the new ones are about to come out. However, for these kinds of immediate needs, I do not need a Pro. Do you guys think that I should just buy a Pro, and suck it up and not worry about the upgraded ones about to come out, or would buying a basic Air be a better move, saving $1k, and getting a Pro later? I know the Airs are due for an update as well. This is not a good time of year to be needing a new laptop.

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

It's not really a dilemma if you need one.

Buy the cheapest you can live with, then sell it at a fraction of the loss of a larger model if/when you want a new one.

3. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Did you have find my Mac or another equivalent software installed?
    If not then do so on your next purchace.

4. Exponent macrumors regular

Can you use "Find my Mac"?!?

Wait a second - was your stolen laptop running Lion? Did you turn on the "Find my Mac" option in the iCloud preferences? If so, you could work on getting your stolen MBP back, and get a crook off the streets at the same time!

Check out this link explaining how to use the "Find my Mac" feature built in to Mac OS X Lion (10.7):
    http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/13/icloud-now-features-find-my-mac-service/

5. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

1.) File Police report
    2.) See if you're covered by any insurance policy you might have.
    3.) If you had unsecured personal information or data on the laptop, place fraud alert with the 3 main credit bureaus.
    3a.) Cancel or close any accounts that might be compromised.
    3b.) Watch your accounts and credit report closely for the next few months.
    3c.) Contact your local LE agency and the FTC if you think your identity has been stolen.
    4.) Buy least expensive replacement that meets your needs.

The last thing I'd be worried about is whether or not new Apple laptops are about to be released.

6. evaporateddwarf thread starter macrumors regular

I've done everything but contact the credit bureaus. I work at a bank and deal with a lot of fraud, so I've gotten used to the drills. I had fraud on two accounts already and shut them down. I was careless in not having the Find My Mac feature activated. I have identity theft protection, and my insurance will cover all my stolen and damaged property.

7. whoathere macrumors 6502

whoathere

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wasn't aware of a new release coming soon. They were just updates in the fall I believe. I would just get enough to get you by for a few months. Maybe refurb store?

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I would go to the refurb store or buy one off Craigslist.

9. Exponent macrumors regular

If he buys one off of Craigslist, he just might get his stolen one back!

10. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

For future use I highly suggest that you use TrueCrypt and use a container for all sensitive financial/personal data.

The problem with laptops is that if you take them out of your home they are much more likely to be stolen.

We have our computers full disk encrypted (not Lion, but 3rd party software). The only problem is that Find my Mac is useless because no one will be able to access the OS, but I do know that all of my data (personal and highly sensitive professional) is safe.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just buy one now. "Need" should take precedence over waiting for whatever incremental update they come out with.

12. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

not to sound like a jerk...but...why did you leave your laptop in the car?
    leaving something as valuable as that...you are just asking for trouble.