Macbook pro keeps disconnecting from internet.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pezerinno, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Pezerinno macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently bought a Macbook Pro (my first Mac). I'm having a problem whereby it keeps disconnecting (a few times a day) from the internet. When I click on network preferences -> Assist Me -> Diagnostics... the ISP, Internet & Server lights are red. I click continue under airport, select my network and it then says my internet appears to be working which it does until the next time.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Try to figure out which part of your connection to the internet looses it.

Your Mac (PC or whatever) is connected to the internet via a few obstacles.
    Depends what the setup is, but in Europe we mostly are connected via:

ISP >> ADSL / Cable modem >> NAT (Home router) + DHCP/DNS >> Your computer (via Wifi or Ethernet)

If you cannot connect to the internet it can be any of the components above.

Try to find the fault closest to you first.
    If you are connected via ADSL / Cable try to find out if you can "reach" that modem first.
    By "reach" I mean trying to "Ping" it, using "Network Utility" in /Apps/Utilities (or the Terminal of course, if you are familiar with it) to find out if it responds...

3. Pezerinno thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. I use a DSL modem to a Linksys router which serves this macbook pro as well as a windows laptop (which never drops its connection). I can ping my router with no problems.

4. Pezerinno thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

This can happen if you have two different network adapters enabled and they're both fighting for the same IP or subnet.

Try disabling either ethernet or Airport, then connect using the other. I've had that give me some trouble before.

6. Pezerinno thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for being a thicko but how do I go about disabling my ethernet port on a macbook?