Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roderick

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Is there something wrong with my computer?? Some special update that I don't know about?? this is so annoying!! I'm running Leopard 10.5.8 but this happened also on 10.5.7 and I am using an early macbook pro model - about 3 years old. I will be connected to the wireless fine all day then like right now it drops the signal and i have to hook my computer up to an ethernet cable. I can restart modem, router, and computer but I haven't found a solution except to try again in a couple of hours and it will work fine. I know it's a problem with the computer itself and my apple care just expired so i hope it's not a hardware issue. Anyone know anything? I've tried changing the password protection on the router but still same result. Just pissed off that my $3000 computer can't hold a wireless signal. Please help!

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Try doing these things:

1. Navigate to: Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/System Configuration and remove: com.apple.airport.preferences.plist; com.apple.network.identification.plist

2. Open Keychain Utility and remove everything that has to do with network (check all sections on left)

3. Go into Network.prefpane in System Preferences and select Airport. Then select Advanced. Remove ALL preferred networks from the list

3. Restart your computer

4. Type in all network information

Hope this helps.

zenoran

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
I just got my very first mac laptop the other day and am unfortunately having the same problem... from doing various different reads on the net it seems like this is a frequent problem when running on battery power... I can't believe there isn't a fix for this especially on the newer macs that boast better battery life of course we want to run them on the battery! That's half the reason I bought the dang thing...

*sigh* wonder if it's fixed in SL

zenoran

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
well I'm on SL and still a problem with dropped connections... can't use that update on SL either...

I'm even having the problem when it's plugged in... I just ordered a previous model airport extreme off ebay hopefully that fixes it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.