Macbook Pro keeps forgetting WiFi password?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bulldoze, Nov 18, 2013.

1. bulldoze macrumors regular

My Macbook Pro (early 2011 13") keeps forgetting the Wifi password when it gets woken from sleep. I know that there have been a number of threads where the Mac cannot connect to the router after sleeping but mine will not connect automatically and then when I try to connect manually it will tell me I have the wrong password even though I have entered it correctly!

Seems a very odd fault, why would it forget it? or is the router forgetting its own password? I have tried deleting the keychain entry and things like that. sometimes rebooting the Mac cures it straight away and it connects again without any input from me.

We have an iMac and multiple iDevices in the house that have no problem.

Anyone got any ideas? its starting to bug me now!

2. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Have you tried correcting the keychain entry rather than just deleting it?

Typically deleting it will fix stuff like this but in my office environment we've had several Macs refuse to join our wireless network. It's almost always traced back to a blank keychain entry for the network. For whatever reason deleting the entry and re-entering the password is always a temporary fix. We've learned that the only solid fix is to edit the blank entry to reflect the correct password.

3. bulldoze thread starter macrumors regular

4. bulldoze thread starter macrumors regular

I have looked at the keychain entries I have for the router and I appear to have 2, a system keychain entry and a local one. Not sure if this is an issue. I have clicked on them both and ticked the show password option and they are both correct.

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Sometimes when it tries to connect and tells you "wrong password" what is really happening is that some other connection error has happened. I've seen this occasionally as my wifi connection was flaky, on and off, over many years. My MacBook Pro would do wonky things like drop off the network randomly for a few seconds, then reconnect again. Or fail to connect, until I turned wifi off, then on again. Or do what yours is doing, and fail to reconnect after sleeping.

Congestion in the neighborhood might have been a factor. I live in an area with dozens of hotspots.

I eventually upgraded to a dual-band router and also changed brands from D-Link to Netgear. I have not had any problems since...