MacBook Pro keeps rebooting on shutdown after installin

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zirv, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Zirv macrumors newbie

Hi there,

usually I tend to find all the answers here, but I've already been scouring the internet for ages trying to find the solution to my problem.

I've installed a new Samsung SSD in my late 2008 MacBook Pro 15" 2,8GHz Core Duo.
    Since the Superdrive died I replaced that with the HDD that I already had.

The SSD is the bootdisc. Good to mention that.

Now the problem occurs that I am unable to shut down the laptop; when I do this, either though the menu or the button, it shuts down, to boot itself again after a second. It also does not want to fall asleep. It wakes the second it falls asleep

I've checked the EnergyManagement windows, found
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=856554
    this topic, this one:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/10465608?messageID=10465608#10465608?messageID=10465608

The iCentre around the corner has no idea either. So help!

Greets
    Maarten

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

If you've not already reset your PRAM and SMC, do that. Then revert the system as close to stock as you can. Take out the SSD and replace it with the original hard drive. Reinstall OS X, see if the problem persists. If it does, then you might have a more serious hardware problem. If it works normally, take out the HDD, then install only the SSD. If you have no problem, then it might be the optical bay caddy you're using with the HDD. If the issue crops up with just the SSD, see if you can update the drive's firmware. Samsung recently released a Mac-friendly that's on an .ISO that can be burned to a disc and even installed via an external optical drive, so your dead SuperDrive is not an issue. If the firmware update doesn't help or you already have the latest, the SSD itself might be defective and in need of exchange/replacement.