MacBook Pro keeps resetting my preferred programs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MIKarlsen, Nov 13, 2011.

1. MIKarlsen macrumors newbie

Hi all

So this is a problem I've had for a while, but now im getting pretty tired of it. (Im running OS X Lion, the latest version)

Every time i reboot my MacBook pro 17inch (medio 2010), all my preferred programs get reset. Here's an example:

I turn on my computer, and go to my 'Movies' folder. Even though i set the default program for playing .avi files to 'VLC', it has now reset that choice, and will now open the .avi file in QuickTime.

The same thing happens to .PDF files, which i wanna use AdobeReader to open, but the Mac resets it, so that the basic program once again is the default Picture-viewingprogram.

How can i make the Mac remember my settings, so i dont have to change it each time i open my computer?!

Thanks in advance :)

2. yawns macrumors member

How are you setting the default application? If you use, "Open with... -> Always Use..." OSX (stupidly, IMO) sets the defult application only for that particular file. To set the global choice, you need to right-click->get info->open with and then choose "change all."

Sorry if that's how you're doing it already, just wanted to be sure. I don't think it's particularly intuitive.

3. MIKarlsen thread starter macrumors newbie

That is exactly what I'm doing... Still, it resets every session...

4. MIKarlsen thread starter macrumors newbie