MacBook Pro keeps turning off

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Alterean, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Alterean macrumors newbie

I have a unibody 2008 MacBook pro, and since shortly after I got it it will just turn off when I'm playing a game. This happens on both the osx side and windows xp side.

At first I thought it was overheating, but it kept happening after I bought a cooling mat, and it also happens randomly, it could be a few seconds after starting, or hours later.

It seems to happen a LOT more often when using the dedicated graphics card, and rarely when using the integrated one. Recently however it's started doing it a lot more often, even with the integrated card. It makes it virtually impossible to play games on it, and like I said it happens on osx and windows xp.

Has anyone else had these issues? Anyone have any advice?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Install iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your temps, among other things. Then keep a close eye on your temps so you have an idea what they are at time of shutdown. The two temps you'll want to watch are the CPU and GPU. Also, are you playing on battery power or AC power? This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. Alterean thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll check the temps next time I'm playing a game.

But I still don't think it's overheating, I turned it on this morning, it was cold, started a game and a few minutes later it turned off. The laptop was barely warm, I've felt it get a lot hotter before doing other things, so I don't get it.

And then there's the fact that I used to play these games ALL the time with no issues. The only thing that's changed is that I can no longer keep the battery in because it's to bloated. Could that cause a problem?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What about the battery question?

5. Alterean thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I edited my post a little after I put it up.

And then there's the fact that I used to play these games ALL the time with no issues. The only thing that's changed is that I can no longer keep the battery in because it's to bloated. Could that cause a problem?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it can. It is not recommended to run your Mac on the AC adaptor with the battery out. If your battery is swollen, you need to replace it.

7. Alterean thread starter macrumors newbie

8. interrobang macrumors 6502

Yes, absolutely. The power adapter alone cannot always supply enough power, especially during demanding usage. See the link above.