Macbook pro. Kernel panic. Need advice (or ideas)...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fps, May 1, 2009.

1. fps macrumors member

Hi

I've got a Macbook pro (mid-2007, Merom 2.4Ghz, upgraded to 4GB, upgraded HD to WD scorpio black 320GB). On Wednesday, I was working with it without pbm, I left it for 10-15mins. When I came back the screensaver was frozen and it wouldn't respond to the keyboard or mouse, etc... So I switched it off. Since then everytime it boots up I get the dreaded kernel panic and multi-language screen...

I've swapped memory modules (incl. going back to the original Apple ones 2 x 1GB) but still the same issue. When booting from CD I get the grey screen with the Apple logo and after a while it freezes (but doesn't show the multi-language screen), same thing trying to boot up off an external firewire drive with a Superduper backup, same thing booting up from the Disk Warrior CD...
    Only a couple of days before it happened I checked the SMART status of the internal drive and all was fine. Also resetting the PRAM and SMC did nothing.

It's got another 14 months on Applecare but if there's any thing you think I can try before please let me know. It's my main work machine so I'm a bit in a pickle here...
    Luckily I've got plenty of up-to-date backups (superduper and time machine) so I'm not worried about data loss...

Please fire away :)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. fps thread starter macrumors member

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you can't even boot off the install disc, then there is probably a more serious problem. I can't think of anything to do so calling AppleCare for troubleshooting would be a waste of time, I would just go ahead and call them up and setup a repair or if you have an Apple Store, better to go to them.

5. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Yes, an appointment at an Apple store seems to be your best approach in resolving this issue. Good luck to you and please keep us updated.

6. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

You have the same issue I have. Everytime you try to boot up Mac OS X, it kernel panics on the gray screen with the Apple, right? The only difference is when you boot from a disc or external drive, it just freezes and doesn't kernel panic where as mine kernel panics there too. (You can tell when it kernel panics when the LED on the Caps Lock and Num Lock key stop responding) I was able to install 10.5.6 using another MacBook then putting the hard drive back into the MacBook Pro. It works for now but it will start to do this for me again eventually. Easiest way, get a logic board replacement. I can't cause I don't have AppleCare but you should be able to. It's not your RAM, HDD or anything else, trust me.

7. fps thread starter macrumors member

Hi - Sorry for not replying but I was offline due to this issue. I'm now back online with a brand new Macbook Pro 17" and will send my previous one for repair.

8. srexy macrumors 6502a

Recently had a similar issue.

Check out 2 things:

- try the ram in each individual slot and then boot. Could just be a bad ram slot.
    - if you have any express-card accessories plugged in - eject the express card completely.

ask me how I know the last one? - I freaked out for almost a full day when my Griffin SD card reader wouldn't play nice w/a Kingston SD card. I re-seated ram, replaced OWC ram w/Apple ram, booted from one slot vs the other and kept getting random grey screens at boot up. Finally ejected the SD card and all was well!

9. fps thread starter macrumors member

Thx for the suggestions. I did both with no success :) For the RAM I had the original 2 x 1GB and my upgrade 2 x 2GB from crucial and I tried all 4 modules in various combination.
    I think the conclusion is the laptop is fubar ;)