Macbook Pro kernel panics after 10.6.2 Combo update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Soulstorm, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I have just now received my purchased 13.3 inch Macbook Pro model, with BTO 4Gigs RAM, and 250 HDD.

I opened the Macbook pro, and it worked just fine. First thing I did was to enable the WiFi, perform a software update, and update the system using Software Update with the combo update to Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (it was 10.6).

Immediately after performing the update and restarting, the computer crashed on startup 3-4 times, and still refuses to boot. It appears this is a kernel panic, with the first line saying "Panic Version mismatch between Kernel and CPU " and some other things like the version of the system and darwin, and the CPU model.

I booted from the DVD without problems, and performed a Disk Repair (which found no problems) and a repair permissions (which also found no errors).

Strange thing: When I selected the "startup disk" application I selected my internal HDD but it displayed 10.6 instead of the recently applied 10.6.2!!

Rebooting still crashes the computer, with the same kernel panic...

I would very appreciate any information on this problem. Could this be a defective RAM or HDD? Or is it a falsely applied update?

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

"Panic Version mismatch between Kernel and CPU"

Nothing is wrong with your hardware, your update went bad. Archive and install OS X and you should be good.

3. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

That's what I thought, too, and you were absolutely right. I I dowformatted my HDD, reinstalled, downloaded and performed the Combo update from Apple, without using software update application, and everything went fine.