Macbook Pro keyboard and housing replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Thaawak, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Thaawak Guest

Hi,
    I have a mid 2010 15" Pro, and yesterday the some keys on the keyboard have stopped working, more specifically the 5,6 and 7 keys. The machine is still under Applecare and will be till 2014. Although being hardly noticeable, the bottom of the optical drive also has a dent that has pushed the frame around the drive up. This does not affect any internal parts. I know the dent would not be covered, so do Apple replace the entire top housing or just the keyboard? I have upgraded friends pro's and the entire keyboard looks like a pain to take out.
    Any opinions would be great!

2. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Whether you bring it to an Apple store or send it in, they'll probably just replace the entire top housing. But you'll be better off taking it to an Apple store. They wouldn't want to leave you sitting for 30+ minutes while a technician takes the repetitive task of removing 40+ screws, taking out the keyboard, putting a new one in, then putting in another 40+ screws. It's a lose/lose, even if Apple might save a little money.

In reality, the stores probably don't even have replacement keyboards. It's a waste of time when replacing the top housing is so much simpler.

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

It depends entirely on the store and Genius you get. Some will replace the housing, and others will tell you to come back in a week and replace only the keyboard. Mind you, the keyboard is a PAIN to take out - I might have given myself repetitive stress injuries removing the tens of screws.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's actually kind of astounding how difficult it is to remove the keyboards on a Unibody. Just replace the top case.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apple will replace the entire top case. As for your damage, the store technicians will take a look and assess the situation. They will see if the damage is causing the problems you have. If it doesn't they will fix it; otherwise they will probably give you a call.

6. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Oh I know exactly how that goes, I replaced the keyboard on my old HP Envy when it failed after 6 months (was a refurb, never going that route again unless it's Apple...). I lost probably 15 of the screws just taking it out :p

I suppose a way to avoid being told to wait a week while they replace the keyboard is to tell them how disappointed you are that it stopped working because you use it so much for school/work ;) they'd probably just go back and swap out the top housing because they're so customer oriented.

7. Thaawak thread starter Guest

Thanks for the info everybody, I will book it in for an appointment tomorrow. Thanks for that James, if they don't want to replace the housing I think I might use that excuse!

8. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Good luck! Let us know how it goes :D

9. Thaawak thread starter Guest

Just come back from the Apple Store and the genius just looked at it and said it will be a full housing replacement that would normally cost $896 without Applecare! I cannot explain how much I adore Apple right now!

10. Thaawak thread starter Guest

Yeah, that was a week ago, now it's happened again and I have no access to Applecare :(