Macbook Pro Keyboard and Pad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itonroe, Oct 17, 2011.

1. itonroe macrumors newbie

Hi, Yesterday I used my macbook pro, and today in morning I opened my macbook and the keyboard and the mouse(pad) did not work, well still not working.
    I did restart to the computer, Enter safe mode and nothing.
    I also have in the macbook 2 partitions, mac os x and windows.
    when I enter the windows the mouse and the keyboard are working, but when I enter the mac nothing working, the mouse point at the top left at the screen and doesn't move.
    What i need to do?
    Help Me Please!..

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Does the keyboard work in single-user mode? If you boot from an OS install disc, does it work there?

3. itonroe thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I'd assume Mac, but you could post both.

5. Detrius macrumors 68000

You already said it works in Windows. I'm trying to help you through the troubleshooting process. At this point, it could be hardware or software. We know virtually nothing about what's going on... except that it works in Windows... which points to software, but Windows could be responding differently to bad hardware. Therefore, we need to try software similar to what you have installed that you couldn't possibly have broken. Therefore, the questions are:

Does it work in single user mode?
    Does it work when you boot from a Mac OS Install disk?

If it works fine in both of these, then it's likely your software. I suspect it won't and that Windows is responding differently to faulty USB devices and that you'll probably just find that you have a bad top case.

6. itonroe thread starter macrumors newbie

In single user mode, the keyboard and the mouse pad, don't work.
    When I boot from a mac os disc it's working.

I don't think that the problem is in the hardware.

7. Detrius macrumors 68000

I concur that it does not sound like a hardware problem. If the keyboard doesn't work in single-user mode, I'm inclined to think it would have to be a problem with kernel extensions, since virtually nothing else is running. If this is the case, then you'd probably have the same problems if you hook up an external keyboard and mouse. Regardless, you need to get the extensions working again. If you moved any kexts, put them back. Repair permissions (because improper permissions will cause a kext to refuse to load), and if these don't fix it, reinstall the OS.

That's what comes to mind for me.