MacBook Pro keyboard and sleep issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reaktor5, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Hey everyone,
    A little while ago I noticed the vertical row of the keys '7ujm' would trigger other keys on my 08/09 Unibody MacBook Pro. For example, I'd hit the number 7 and it would type '1234' instead. Recently I noticed that it also refuses to sleep. I'll close the lid and it will attempt to sleep but the backlight will flicker and it'll re-awake.

I'm careful around my electronics so I've ruled out liquid damage. I did a clean install of Lion and had no luck either, so that ruled out software. I also tried Safari right in Lion Recovery just to be sure.

Does this sound like a logic board issue or something related to the keyboard? Sadly I'm out of AppleCare, so if I take it to the Genius Bar will they at least diagnose the problem for me free of charge? I'm in the market for a new laptop anyway (waiting for a 15 inch Air), would it be worth investing money to fix it to sell?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Based on your description of the problem and that you're confident there isn't any liquid damage, I would venture to say that it is either a logic board issue or a problem with the ribbon/connector of the keyboard to the logic board.

Have you ever had the laptop apart before?

3. Reaktor5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

I've replaced the RAM and battery, nothing that would involve taking the entire lower case off.