MacBook Pro keyboard is dieing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xenosaga, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Xenosaga macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I am new to the Mac world and really like it so far after using Windows PCs forever.

Well I got an Imac a few months ago. Really liked it so bought a new Macbook Pro at a retailer in October.

I noticed when I bought it that sometimes the "N" key did not work, but it was really rare so I didn't think much of it.

So this past week the "?" key also started to go out. Yesterday half the keys on the keyboard started to randomly stop working.

I had to hook up my Imacs USB keyboard to type on it.

The thing is they work SOMETIMES. But randomly keys will stop working. You can press the same key over and over and it won't work, but all the other keys do. It seems completely random but is getting more frequent.

Is Apple going to be able to fix this? How will they fix a problem like this? I have scheduled them to call me about the issue tomorrow. I have only owned this Imac since October, but it has been over 30 days and I can't return it where I bought it due to the return policy.

Are they going to try to charge me to fix this? Also am I going to have to fight with them on the phone to get this fixed or is it a smooth process? I have never dealt with Apple support before.

I am just annoyed I spent over $1000 on this Macbook Pro and two months later the keyboard is already going out. I hardly ever type on it too.

2. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

It's "dying." Sorry. Anyway, just take it back. If you only got it two months ago, you should be able to return it to the retailer. Better yet, you did get Apple care, right?

3. Xenosaga thread starter macrumors newbie

No I can't return it. They have a 30 day return policy.

4. jaredelguay macrumors newbie

jaredelguay

It's under warranty, assuming you bought if from an authorized dealer. Call or take it and have it fixed.

5. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

From Apple:

Looks like you should be fine.

6. AaronX macrumors member

Did you spill anything on it? n and / are close together, looks like the problem lies in that area.

7. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

When my MacBook Pro's keyboard died, it was much more noticeable. I have the old one where the keys all touch, and I was typing when the keys just popped out of place. I sent it to apple and they replaced the keyboard under warrsnty. I still have a few of the keys, and they didn't care that I kept them