MacBook Pro Keyboard Spill

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zanzibar321, Oct 11, 2009.

1. zanzibar321 macrumors newbie

I spilled Vitamin Water on my Macbook Pro keyboard. Yes, I know I am an idiot. Anyhow, a few keys were affected at first, but now more are and the trackpad is slightly affected as well. I bought the Mac about three months ago, am I eligible to take it to an Apple store and have it fixed for free under the first year repair dealio?

2. Pau.c macrumors regular

sorry mate any water into your system voids your warranty!

3. zanzibar321 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. bartelby macrumors Core

AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage.

5. zanzibar321 thread starter macrumors newbie

so basically i bought a 1000 computer and spilled a drink on it and im completely screwed and theres nothing i can do?

6. bartelby macrumors Core

Pay for it to be repaired or claim on household insurance and then be more careful.

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Why does this surprise you?

8. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Jesus ... No offense, but become a man and be responsible for what you do. YOU f***ed it up, so either pay for the repair or live with it ...

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sure there is, you can pay for it to get fixed. It was your own fault my man.

10. Pau.c macrumors regular

this is the exact reason i do not eat or drink near my macbook pro!

11. zanzibar321 thread starter macrumors newbie

All of you guys need to calm down. I'm not irresponsible, I screwed up, I know that more than anyone. I have no problem paying, no one mentioned that they would be able to fix it. Everyone just responded "no" or "F&*k you." Thank you for those who provided helpful information. I just didn't understand how a complete warranty like Applecare doesn't provide accidental damage. Like what does that allow for: intentional damage?

12. caonimadebi macrumors regular

No you need to do a little research before you decide to ask others for help on MR. It is widely understood among Mac owners that if you mess up your computer, you'll have to pay for the repair. Your lack of knowledge on the issue makes you sound like a whiner.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

AppleCare provides free repairs for manufacturing defects, or any damage that is not inflicted accidentally or intentionally by the user. No one will provide accidental damage because of the high risks. Everyone will start dropping their computers and spilling things left and right, knowing it'll be covered.

14. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Because it's written in the AppleCare agreement. :D Do you know how much your macbook would cost were that part of it?

WTF is, "intentional damage"? I don't think anybody plans their accidents. :p

15. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Why the hell would Apple cover "intentional damage"? :confused:

16. wesrk macrumors 6502a

sorry to hear that, the warranty does not cover accidental damage, which is why they call it that, you didn't mean for this to happen, but it did, no different than any other water spill, dropping the computer, etc.
    you might try to buy whatever parts you need and then fix it yourself, if you do this, check out: http://www.ifixit.com/

17. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

The Dell extra warranties do cover accidental damage (my brother got his (POS) Dell replaced after an uncapped water bottle in his sports bag soaked his laptop).

AppleCare just makes Apple fix mistakes that shouldn't have occurred to begin with, it won't help you in your case.

18. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A lot of the folks here would do well to google "Define: Accident" and commit it to memory.

I would call 1-800-SOS-APPL, and see what they'll do for you.

It seems a lot of the store staff will give you the same kind of self-righteous attitude you're getting here, "my man," and highlight how you had an accident, which you already know.

I don't think you sound like a whiner at all, you came here looking for information, and instead got pounced on by a bunch of fanboys who want to shove you in a locker.

19. lars666 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't have responded that way after your initial question. I still wouldn't have responded that way to your following "What if I buy AppleCare?" But your THIRD "so basically i bought a 1000 computer and spilled a drink on it and im completely screwed and theres nothing i can do?" was enough ... And it also was NO "F**ck you", but a simple statement that YOU fu**ed it up to make the case clear that Apple OF COURSE will not pay for this ... What do people think?? If this was how things work I would spill water over my MacBook Pro and then drop it (to be maximum sure I mabye get a new one) every year one day before the warranty expires ... Again: No offense to you, you can believe me that I am sorry to hear about your accident and I feel for you cause this even already happened to ME - these words are simply because I don't understand the lack of logic in your understanding about warranty on electronic products ...