MacBook Pro keyboard woes - Who's had them?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CraigGrocott, May 11, 2008.

1. CraigGrocott macrumors newbie

Hands up if you've experienced MBP keyboard and trackpad failures!

I know that there have been a number of cases where people have lost the built in k/b and trackpad. My friend has had it happen twice to two different machines this year! And now it's happened to me! This is the second MBP that I've had in 6 months, the first was sent back within a week when the case warped so badly that it rocked when I typed.

I’ve been having an intermittent problem where the built-in keyboard and trackpad stop working for a short period of time. On Saturday morning I suffered 3 kernel panics in a very short period of time (5 minutes), and all were related to a module with a name along the lines of IOHID (Human Input Device!!!).

I tried to do a clean install of Leopard, hoping that the problem might be software related. I suffered a further KP during the install process however whilst using the keyboard and from then on both the keyboard and trackpad were unresponsive.

So, now I’ve got an appointment at my nearest Genius Bar. (Which I’m going to have to take an afternoon off work to go to..)

But, I’ve noticed something even stranger!

I’ve been using a USB keyboard and mouse to try and make sure that I’ve got Windows friendly copies of all my data and I accidentally started to use the built-in keyboard… It worked!

But then it stopped!

It turns out that both the keyboard and trackpad work if I keep one finger on the trackpad. As soon as I release the trackpad the keyboard stops working fairly quickly, and if I happen to be holding down a key (e.g. changing the volume or brightness) I get a KP!

Curious about people’s woes with swollen batteries on the MacBook Pros, I decided to remove the battery to see if the problem went away… well, something happened… not even the ‘one finger’ trick works when the battery isn’t there! The battery looks fine, but it must be exerting some pressure for it to have an effect.

Oh yeah, I think that this case is starting to warp too…

2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

How the hell did you get three kernel panics in less than five minutes?

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

the connections for the keyboard/trackpad might be loose. A guy came in once with this problem. the connections for the keyboard/trackpad are under the trackpad, so by putting a finger on the trackpad you may have applied enough pressure to get a "good" connection. We replaced the top case and keyboard for him.

Go to your local apple store and complain.

(off topic, but why is the title of my post a ;) ? I didnt put it there..)

4. CraigGrocott thread starter macrumors newbie

It's easier than it sounds:

KP caused by keyboard and trackpad use. Reboot, KP on reboot. KP from keyboard and trackpad use.

Thanks. I have an appointment at my 'local' store tomorrow afternoon. The only problem is it's not exactly very local, and I'm going to be taking tomorrow afternoon off to go there!

5. pazreal macrumors regular

Mine failed catastrophically during a law school final and Apple was gracious enough to overnight me a replacement.

6. picknett macrumors newbie

Can't believe it

MacBook Pro Keyboard and trackpad failed last night for no apparent reason.

Have tried all sorts of things to get them working again, no luck.

Using a MacBook Pro 2.16GHz 17"

Probably about 2yrs old, way out of warranty. Had problems with battery expanding previously.

Gutted, absolutely gutted.

7. bart rijksen macrumors regular

Didn't have it yet, don't know anyone who has. You should make a poll, asking if people had problems with the keyboard or mouse.

8. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Always reassuring to read material like this on the day before your MBP purchase... ;) I hope I'll be dealt a better hand. I am but a 30 min walk from an Apple Store though, so its not the end of days should I encounter any issues.