Macbook pro keyboard won't illuminate, can't find similar situation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mardihearti, Jan 23, 2010.

1. mardihearti macrumors newbie

I noticed a lot of other people having problems with the hardware itself, or the keyboard issues in lighting but my problem is different than anything I was able to find.
    When I press the F6 button to make the keyboard brighter (I had darkened it to zero while running on battery a little while ago today) I get the watermark like picture that would normally tell me how bright the light was. But now all I get is the bar at zero, while the picture is the line with dashes out of it (if it were at zero it would just be the line) and then under the scale telling you how bright it is, theres a circle with a backslash thorough it, as though its saying the operation is not possible. Please help me!!!:confused:

2. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

As far as I understand, you cannot turn the backlite keyboard light on manually. It only comes on when the MBP thinks it should be on. Once on you can reduce the brightness, but you cannot force it on.

Try covering the left hand speaker grille. That should fool the MBP into thinking it's night :)

There is a utility called Lab Tick ( http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/labtick.html ) that WILL let you force the backlighting on when YOU want.

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

If the brightness is above some level, the backlight won't go on. If it is below that level, you can turn it on and off.

I think this was a bad decision on Apple's part since often certain lighting conditions will make the keyboard impossible to read without the backlight.

4. mardihearti thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! I have had this computer since May and I have never had that problem before. And I have used it in brighter rooms than the one I'm in, so it made no sense. I have downloaded Lab Tick, so thank you very very much!!