Macbook Pro killing RAID drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TMothy, Mar 19, 2011.

1. TMothy, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

TMothy macrumors newbie

Ok so I've had just about enough of this....

I have a Late 2010 Macbook Pro i7 and was running a Rosewill 5 Bay array off it via Sonnet Tempo Express34 to 2x eSata ports. I have 4x Seagete 1.5TB drives installed.

I was running 2 separate Raid 1's and It was running great for about a month and a half then all of a sudden a drive in the 2nd RAID 1 failed. Thinking It was a glitch or something I restarted everything. then all 4 drives came up as failed... Thinking this couldn't be right I shut everything down. Reseated all the drives checked cables and Express34 card and restarted. All the drives came back up except the one drive in the 2nd RAID 1 that showed up as failed the first time. Replaced that drive and rebuilt. 12 hours later it finished but a drive in the first RAID 1 failed. Replaced that and another 12 hours later and everything was online.

Thinking it was the Enclosure that was killing the drives I pulled all the drives out and put them into two ThermalTake Duel Docks. Its been about a week and The First RAID 1 has been running like a champ but 10 mins ago I just lost a drive. It was the drive I replaced in the 2nd RAID 1. Now that was not a new drive that I put in it. It was a drive that I had for a few months that I wiped after consolidating drives. So Im not sure if that had anything to do with it failing or not.

But 3 drives in less then 2 weeks?!?!?!..... Now I don't know whats killing them.

I had already updated the driver on the Tempo Express34 card.

The only other thing it could be is the Macbook Pro itself.

But here is the kicker

My uncle has the Exact same Rosewill array and he hasn't had any problems at all. But the difference is he is running off a MacPro with a RAID Card in RAID 5. Could the fact that I'm running multiple SoftRAID 1's and he's running a a single HardRAID 5 be the difference in why I'm having so many failures and he's not? We both use the same drives too.

With that said I was looking at new arrays and came across this:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Raidon/SR4WBS2/

Could this be my answer? It looks like this has a RAID Card built in for HardRAID Because it says

"The SR4 is an all-in-one hardware RAID solution that embeds the Oxford 936QS RAID controller chipset........you’ll not need to purchase RAID controller cards in order to enable the RAID functionality as everything is built in"

It also has RAID 5 which I was not able to do before using Disk Utility

Any input?

2. TMothy thread starter macrumors newbie

3. MightyDoggy macrumors newbie

I don't know, buddy. I hear you on the Suspicious MacBook Pro theory -- it's tricky, for sure.

Software RAIDs can, at times, be a major pain. But if you can't swing/don't have the gear for a hardware RAID, I'd highly recommend SoftRAID:
    http://www.softraid.com/

or at least some sort of warning software, like this (which I haven't used, so procede with caution/research:
    http://www.objectpark.net/ra.html

Food for thought here on Software vs Hardware RAIDs (you've been using/having problems with a Software RAID setup):
    http://serverfault.com/questions/153956/mac-os-x-server-10-6-apples-software-mirrored-raid-worth-it

But, if it were me I'd be combing the system logs (in Console) for any hints. I'd also consider it just bad luck -- a bad batch of hard drives, particularly if they were bought/manufactured together. If you wanted to pursue a Bad Drives Theory, I'd consider doing some heavy-duty/surface-scanning/etc drive tests on the ones that bailed on you.

Also: could be a wonky power supply in the RAID enclosure. If the voltage going to the drive(s) isn't right, things can get seriously weird... and erratic.

And... by switching to the DualDocks -- which are USB -- we now have another variable. Is it a Sonnet problem?

So I suppose I wouldn't suspect the MBP... at first. I'd look into software failure. I'd check the Console, try SoftRAID or at least setup a RAID warning app, along with making sure "auto-rebuild" is on when you first set it up in Disk Utility, and then see how it behaves then.

Hope that's more helpful than confusing... and good luck!