Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyDesktopBroke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
I have a 2Wire router and AT&T dsl. The wifi works great for a tower up stares from the router and my brothers HP laptop.

When I turn on my Macbook Pro (late 2008) there is a problem. Some times it will work like a charm for hours, but other times it will actually kill the Internet signal. After few minutes of browsing on my Macbook Pro, the router light turns red, and I lose any connection - and not just on my laptop, but all the other computers as well, including the one that uses ethernet. I try rebooting the Internet connection from either computer, but nothing works. I have to turn my Macbook off or put it to sleep.

I know the Macbook and Macbook Pro line have had their share of wifi problems, but I don't remember hearing anything like this. Help please?

evitica

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
New York, NY
I have the exact same problem. It is something Mac/2wire related. My Powerbook G4 kills the internet in the same fashion, same with my new 09 uMPB. All of the other pcs work fine. What do you guys think it is?

P.S. I called ATT&T a few times and even have the router changed, but the problem still exists.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
The 2Wire router doesn't play well with anything Mac. I have the same problem and worked around it by adding a second router as a wireless access point. I suggest anyone else with the same problem does the same because I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a fix from AT&T or 2Wire.

donnaf

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2009
St. Louis, MO
When is 2WIRE modem too old? Other replacements?

I have an old AT&T 2WIRE 227 wireless modem with SBC Yahoo high speed internet that I've used with my Macbook Pro 10.4 (2006) which has an Airport card. The 2WIRE modem is 5 years old.

In the beginning, the connection between my powerbook and modem died only occasionally. The frequency of disconnection has gradually increased, and it's begun disconnecting daily in the last week, which results in unplugging and plugging in the modem to restart it everyday.

There wouldn't be any need to enable file sharing when I'm only using the MBP (one computer). Right?

To other persons: When entering Airport information during the Network Diagnostics process, try selecting the following wireless security option: WEP 40/128-bit hex (second choice). The $ sign isn't needed as the first symbol of the password with this option. When you enter the password (10 digit number on the bottom of the 2WIRE for my model), keep it in the keychain. I saw this on another forum, and an Apple support person also suggested it to me.

I read on another forum that it was better to get a D-link or Linksys router. Is it possible to use such a modem other than one put out by AT&T and connect with DSL when replacing their router (when one is technologically challenged?

Verizon Broadband isn't available where I live, but I could also do away with DSL entirely and get their USB modem. In checking online, it appears that what I need would cost about $60 monthly. Would this be the better option - to do away with AT&T altogether?
ADVICE, PLEASE!
Thanks, Donna

donnaf

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Safari 4 and wireless connection

Additional question involving wireless connection: Has anyone with 2WIRE modems or wireless connections in general noticed increased disconnections, particularly after putting computer to sleep, since downloading Safari 4?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.