MacBook Pro Knocked Over

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Apples555, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Apples555 macrumors regular

When I was at university today, some guy passing my desk knocked over my mid 2010 MBP as I was working on it with somebody. The fall bent the LCD back cover, so now the notebook won't close, it catches about an inch before crunching closed.

Good side.

[​IMG]

Bad side.

[​IMG]

What are my options? The notebook works fine otherwise. Can I replace only the bezel? There are scratches everywhere now as well, but I'm more worried about it closing.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Everything is pretty much glued in on those screens. You'll have a lot less chance of breaking stuff you go out and change the whole display + clamshell as 1 piece (which is what Apple'd do).

3. Apples555 thread starter macrumors regular

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

5. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

I hope you gave that guy a beating. :mad:

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

It might be the angle but it looks more to me like the Unibody itself is bent UP rather than the LCD down. The unibody is certainly up relative to the black LCD hinge...

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Maybe you could bend it back... but that may crack the screen. You could use a file to file down the edge so it closes.

8. Apples555 thread starter macrumors regular

I bent it back. Is there a way to buff out the scratches?

I'm worried the LCD is now in a state of constant pressure because of the bent cover.

The unibody is undamaged. It just looked that way because the bent back cover pulled the black hinge with it when closed.

He was very apologetic. I said it was fine. Hell, maybe I should have asked him to pay for a back cover at least. It's definitely a shame, I don't want a new computer.

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Cool - metal polish would do the scratches but I'm not sure if there are any other coatings, best to try on say the inside of the bottom cover??

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

The MBP is hard anodized, if you buff the scratches you'll get to the bare aluminum which won't have the same colour at all.

11. Mercilesz macrumors newbie

like a scar on a man's face, it adds character! also shows Apple's build quality

12. Apples555 thread starter macrumors regular

I may have prematurely called the unibody of my mauled MacBook 'undamaged.' It appears the position of the corner and hinge shifted slightly so the (bent back) back cover slightly rubs against the corner when closing. The hinge has a slight gap on the bad side as well.

Good side.

[​IMG]

Bad side.

[​IMG]

Is it the hinge mechanism or unibody itself?

13. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Yep, thats what I was seeing. Compare the black hinge strip end to end, is it the same with respect to the screen end-to-end? Is the gap between the top screen cover and the unibody the same on both sides?

14. Apples555 thread starter macrumors regular

The gap between the unibody and display is smaller on the bad side. There is a gap between the end of the black hinge strip and the unibody, unlike the good side. The hinge strip is (somewhat) flush with the display.

If it's the body, I suppose there's nothing to be done.