Macbook Pro Latch Button Mark / scratch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by liangt, Jan 16, 2008.

1. liangt macrumors newbie

Hi

I Have a C2D MBP

Here's what happaned to it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I take pride and care for my Macs and i am very annoyed that this has happaned.

I don't think its a scratch coz no matter how much i touch the other part of the button... it does not turn black...

i suspect that a chemical might have been applied to it before its delivered to me.... it feels like a corrosion to me but its made of aluminium right?:confused:

anythought?

anyone with the same problem?

so you think it deserves to be under warranty?

if not..

any solutions?

:mad:

Thomas

ps: it will be expensive to replace it if it falls under my own wallet... they will need to replace the whole bottom case of the mbp... just to replace the button

2. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

that's weird, i don't know man... wish I could help :(

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Looks like normal wear & tear to me. Don't look at it if it bothers you that much.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Its from the oil in your skin. Mine also appears 'oxidized' just not as bad as yours...

5. epunster macrumors newbie

Black Latch

I'm experiencing the same problem. It's so annoying considering the fact that I invested over $2000 on this MacBook Pro.

I think it happens when using the latch too much.

I didn't try to fix it, but I think they will send it to the depot for 2-3 weeks, and they will replace the latch for free if you're within the year warranty.

6. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I know this is not really good, but can you dip a Q-tip in Brasso and then just to polish this off?

8. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

9. hardhead89 macrumors member

I have the same problem. It seems to be a fairly common issue. I think it is because I use my nail to push the latch all the way in. In my opinion its not worth losing your MBP for 2 weeks to get a new part though so I just deal with it.

10. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

11. epunster macrumors newbie

I actually heard that in the Depot they mostly break things rather than fix them. So it's better to live with it rather than sending it and get something else broken.

And 'tremendous' some people care about the external look of their MacBook Pro.

It's like buying a brand new car, and discovering a big scratch on it. I would like to watch you calling that a joke. This is the same analogy.

I think I'll ask my father-in-law he works with metals he'll know what's the best substance to use in order to take this stain off my latch.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What makes you think so? :confused:

13. epunster macrumors newbie

14. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

This is well documented. Mine was that bad in 4 months. Finger oil + Sliding motion + Poor material = Oxidized

15. epunster macrumors newbie

I've just upgraded my MBP so I got a brand new one; I don't need to worry about the latch anymore it looks as good as new.

16. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

artivideo.nl

to me it does not look like a stain or corrosion. I think the button is plastic with electroless Al top and that part is weared off.

17. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

My old CD MBP has this, but hey ... it's just normal wear and tear. Had it since 2006. So unless you wear gloves, don't think the MBP latch is going to look new forever.

Not a joke, but maybe a little ridiculous. Some are paranoid about keeping their stuff in pristine condition. I'm somewhat like that.

I'm not trying to sound mean or anything, but this is not the same analogy. Buying new car with a scratch is different than buying a new car and finding a scratch a few months (or years) later. I still think this is normal wear because I take care of my stuff too.

18. epunster macrumors newbie

Well, it happened to me a week after I bought it. The analogy works for me.

It got scratched out of the blue. It's not like someone did it.

If I had this Mac for more than a year you're right, but it was pretty new.

But, now it's all behind me as I upgraded it and got a new mac