MacBook Pro Late 13 issue again

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iJohnnyG, Mar 23, 2016.

1. iJohnnyG macrumors member

Hello,

Looking for some advice really from anyone on the forum.

I've got a 15 inch Late 2013 MacBook Pro which is out of warranty, in November 2015 I tried to update to 10.11 and was unable to install this, resulting in various error codes numerous times. I took it into the Apple Store and the Genius dude confirmed there was an issue when he attempted to install via store server but the issue was still present.
    As a gesture of goodwill, they said that they would fix this at no cost to me. The work they did replaced the Board, Logic, 2.3GHz, Discrete GPU, 16GB RAM. (Essentially a new MacBook Pro, right?). Was very happy with this, as this would have cost £409.20.

On Sunday, I was browsing the web when my screen went black all of a sudden. I closed the screen, opened it up again and then everything on the screen was frozen. I pressed the power button to switch off and try again. Started up the MacBook Pro and the load up screen started but then lines appeared (picture attached).
    After about 6 hours of trying to reinstall OS X via cmd + R, I finally managed to reinstall OS X.
    This appeared to have solved the screen issue so I started reinstalling all my data however after a 2/3 minutes the laptop crashed. In total it crashed around 8 or 9 times before I finally gave up and was no longer able to install OS X via cmd + R.

On Monday I took it into Apple Store and spoke with a Genius, he said there may be an issue with the graphics card in the MacBook Pro and they needed to stress test this to figure out what the issue actually is. He gave me a sheet with the work what will be done to fix it and again it's replacing the Board, Logic, 2.3GHz, Discrete GPU, 16GB RAM at a cost of £409.20.

This MacBook Pro is just over 2 years old, purchased on 30th January 2014. I've still got my late 2008 model which is 8 years old and works perfectly. Do I just have bad luck with this newer model? What are the chances of Apple replacing the unit with a new one, or am I just being greedy thinking that could happen?

Attached Files:

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Your GPU has gone again. The dGPU is a problem part in all of the MBP's produced since about 2008, the replacements are often worse and last less time than the original, in the uk and Europe you could argue your case for a free fix on the consumer laws here. Also the last fix has a 90 day warranty you could give them some hassle about that. They will fix it 3 times for the same issue before considering replacing it for you.

3. iJohnnyG thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks for the information and advice!

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

The only issue with the consumer law argument is that it technically only applies with the store you bought from, so if it wasn't purchased directly from apple, you'd have to bring up the argument with other store.

5. iJohnnyG thread starter macrumors member

Was purchased on Apple.com/uk. When I had the issue in November they did bring that up with me but said as a one off they'd be able to fix it at no cost to me.

6. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

You should have a good argument for that case then still.

7. iJohnnyG thread starter macrumors member

Just a quick update, visited the store today after no phone call since I took it in last Monday. MacBook Pro ready to be picked up, repaired free of charge....