Macbook Pro late 2007 - best OS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JimRaynor, Jan 9, 2014.

1. JimRaynor macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro (Late 2007) 15-inch, running OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. What is the latest OS it is safe to install on my computer? Mavericks? Mountain Lion? Or Lion? Can I install any of these or will they ruin my computer? I have read many horror stories in reviews for each of these new operating systems, and maybe they wouldn't be safe to install for my older macbook pro.

2. Zach808 macrumors newbie

I'd suggest using Disk Utility to create a blank partition on your disk to test out the new OS X versions. Then, when you launch the installer, select the empty partition to install the new version on. You can then either dual boot between the two for compatibility or delete the new partition and upgrade your main.

In my experience, Lion was a memory-hungry pig, but Mountain Lion was an improvement, and Mavericks isn't really noticeably slower than Snow Leopard except for the god-awful boot time. However, none of them can run PowerPC apps, so don't erase Snow Leopard if you still need them.

3. Bear macrumors G3

The first question that needs to be answered is how much ram do you have. If you have less than 4GB forget it. If you have 4GB maybe - it depends on what you use your Mac for.

Next question, can you get Mavericks compatible versions of all the software you use?

Another one is how likely are any of the reported issues with Mavericks going to affect you? Do remember that 10.9.1 fixed some of the issues and 10.9.2 when it's available will fix even more issues.

And as was stated if you still need to use any PowerPC applications you need to stick with 10.6.8 for Rosetta.

4. JimRaynor thread starter macrumors newbie

I upgraded and there were no problems. Mavericks runs smoothly and my computer even seems to run faster. You're right that start-up time is maybe a little longer but that is not a huge issue. Thanks.

p.s. my RAM is 4GB

5. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Mavericks runs well on my 2007 MBP with 4GB of ram, and is the best of Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks. I can't recall whether Snow Leopard ran better.

6. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I have the same machine I found Mavericks laggy with 2gb ram. I upgraded to 4 this weekend and its great!