MacBook Pro (late 2007) display oddity.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chgojcs, Feb 23, 2009.

1. chgojcs macrumors member

Hey, all.

So, yeah, I know all about the 8600 chip issues, and yes, that is the chip that I have, however, I am having an intermittent issue that I can't be sure is related to that or not.

The picture attached shows, as close as I could find, the issue that's occuring. I'd get a pic myself, but it can't be reproduced no matter what I try to do, and it doesn't show up in a screenshot. Sometimes, it looks like that, but one time it did have a greenish hue when it happened.
    It's only happened about six times since late December, so I am wondering that, if not the 8600 failing, could it be a 10.5.6 problem?

Has anyone had something similar to this happen?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Attached Files:

2. vcab01 macrumors newbie

Something similar has happened to my mbp as well, I had red and blue bars on the left side of my screen and the screen would flicker. So I took it to the Apple store they replaced the whole screen assembly and that took care of the red and blue bars, but it did not take care of the screen flickering problem and now it is getting worse.
    Best bet, if you have AppleCare take it to the Apple store and get it fixed.

3. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Looks very much like the video card going. If you have Apple care, it should be all sorted for you for free.

4. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

This looks like a loose cable connection (ribbon cable) or your ribbon cable could be bent and damaged. Look into it. I had problems like this with my PowerBook 5300cs back in the day

5. bonjon9 macrumors newbie

Loose connection?

The display on my MBP sometimes only shows about 1/3 of the screen and the rest is black.... less often, it's completely black. This only seems to happen when I first open it after having using it and closed it. By accident, I kinda bumped it on the back of the panel and it blinked on. Since then, whenever it happens, I can bump it on the top edge (near the camera) or on the back of the display and it will usually come back on full screen. To me, it feels more like a loose connection rather than the GeForce 8600M GT, but it does match up with the descriptions of that issue. Suggestions? I'm out of warranty, but if it's the 8600 M GT, then that would still be covered until October '09. Should I try to open it via the FixIt instructions?
    Thanks.

6. eldos1 macrumors newbie

I am having an issue also. My screen is showing red/black one pixel wide vertical stripes instead of full black. The other colors are just fine and if it is not full black it displays correctly. I checked it with a external monitor and it dose not show this problem. It started after I received the last mac software update and shows that my rad utility is now 3/9/2009. I also was traveling so it might be from that also. Any one know how I could roll back the rad to the older version to see if this fixes this?

7. eldos1 macrumors newbie

It seems to be the ribbon connector in for the screen. I took it to an apple repair place and the tech pushed down around the g and h keys and it stopped the issue. I will get it in for service later but it seems to work fine now.
    The external output was not effected so it was not a chip issue.