Macbook pro late 2007, heating issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hasan55, Aug 28, 2012.

1. hasan55 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro 15 inch which i bought in september 2007 (Model Number:A1226).

The issue is, the macbook heats up to an extent that it becomes unbearable to place on my lap. Plus i have replaced the battery 4 times. Is there any correlation between the heat and the battery becoming weak?

What can i do? Should i get the fans cleaned, will that help?

2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

It's hard to make any recommendations based on the information you gave. MBPs do tend to get hot, and the heat disperses through the aluminum shell. Unfortunately, this often makes it uncomfortable to have it on your lap. Has it just recently started getting hotter, or has it been this way for a long time now?

To take the issues one by one:
    1. Do you have iStat Pro or anything similar installed so that you can check the actual temperatures? Just saying it gets too hot to comfortably sit on your lap doesn't give enough info. iStat will show you temps and fan speeds.
    2. What are you doing with the computer when it gets too hot? I'm assuming it's not just idle...what programs are you running?
    3. It's a 2007 computer...have the fans ever been cleaned before?
    4. Did you replace the battery 4 times because they just died? Are you running the computer plugged in to the wall all the time? Do you know how many cycles any of the batteries went through before you decided to replace them?

I had a 2008 MBP that's been passed on to hubby, and I now have a 2011 MBP. They both get quite warm when I'm using them, and I have a lap desk that I put under them to make it more comfortable.