MacBook Pro (late 2007 model?) screen black

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ASLazz, Feb 18, 2011.

1. ASLazz macrumors newbie

Hi,

I hope someone can help me to fix this problem. This morning, I used the laptop and it was fine. Then I put it in sleep mode. I came back later in the evening and pressed spacebar to wake it up but it won't wake up. I can see the light shining (the tiny light where the bar is to open the laptop) and when I tried to reboot it by pressing the power button, I can feel the vibrations but nothing comes up (no grey screen with apple icon clocking like you always see when it starts up/boots up).

What can I do to fix this? I think the laptop is late 2007 or 2008, not sure and it has 3 GB RAM and plenty HDD memory. I hope laptop can be saved.

Thanks!

2. aevelasquez macrumors regular

Hey, I had this same problem about a month ago. What you need to do is hold the power button until the notebook clicks off, take out the battery, and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Then put the battery back in and power it on. It resets some sleep mechanism on the motherboard, let me know if it works.

3. ASLazz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi aevelasquez,

Thanks for your reply! I followed your instructions but it won't wake up. The light is still on and the strange thing is when I tried to do the instructions, the light went off and when I closed the laptop (to turn it over for removing the battery) the light came back on as in sleep mode but when I opened it, it went off again. So I shut it down as per se your instructions. It wouldn't wake up. What do I do? Repeat the steps or something else?

Thanks again!

4. aevelasquez macrumors regular

Hi! no problem, you've gotta completely power down, holding the power button the computer until you hear it physically power off. Then take out the battery, make sure its not on AC power or anything, let it sit out without the battery for a minute or two, then grab the laptop, press and hold the power button and slowly just count out 30 seconds, longer if you want. THen let it sit out a bit more and try re-inserting the battery, and powering it back on. Let me know how it goes!

5. ASLazz thread starter macrumors newbie

Argh! Either I'm not following your instructions correctly or something else. Please bear it with me as I sorta repeat your instructions - did you mean that I unplug the AC power cord (it was connected to the AC cord earlier btw) first then power down and take out the battery then press and hold power button for 30+ seconds (there's no sounds or anything in action 'cuz of no AC plugged and no battery inserted...is that what it should be?) then re-insert the battery before powering it on? Regarding AC, should I power down first before unplug it or it doesn't matter?

Thanks again!

6. aevelasquez macrumors regular

NO there's no sound you should hear it, and what I said about the AC adapter was just to specify that there should be no power source connected to the laptop.
    I'm confused though, when you take out the battery, does the computer not shut off completely, and stay that way until you press the power button to boot it up once the battery's back in?

7. seattlejimbob macrumors newbie

Alternatively....

Can you ssh into your macbook? Or mount its disk, or share its screen?
    If so, an alternative explanation may be this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

8. ASLazz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the computer went off (without AC plugged) when the battery was taken out. It's "dead". I'm now re-inserting the battery and will power it up to see if it works this time.

9. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Nvidia 8600M GT

More than likely, that's what your problem is.

10. ASLazz thread starter macrumors newbie

Another thing I just noticed now as I re-inserted the battery is that the tiny dots didn't light up (I've not powered it up yet). Is it supposed to light up when it's power off? I'm just wondering though.

11. aevelasquez macrumors regular

Nope! They're not supposed to light up! What happened when it powered on??

12. ASLazz thread starter macrumors newbie

What's that? Battery?

13. ASLazz thread starter macrumors newbie

Still not showing grey screen. :confused:

One thing I'm a bit confused is how can I do the 30-second thing if AC is not plugged while the battery is already taken out? Do I still do that while it's powered off? Please advise.

14. ASLazz thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops! I overlooked this reply with link. If that's the case, then I'll contact Apple about it. Thanks!

15. ASLazz thread starter macrumors newbie

The tiny dots on recharger battery is flashing (the two dots are) and the AC plug shows orange, not green. Any significant reason(s) for that? The tiny dots didn't flash earlier when I was trying to fix it.

16. aevelasquez macrumors regular

Yep! that just how it works, the internal mechanism reset is independent of the main power source.