Macbook Pro (late 2008) 8 gig ram with SL?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hushreality, Sep 1, 2009.

1. hushreality macrumors newbie

Hello,

Please read this thread for reference:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=592107

The late 15" 2008 Macbook Pro supports 6 gigs of ram (although Apple says only 4). There was talk that Snow Leopard would open up the limitations to support 8 gig of ram. Has anyone tried now that Snow Leopard is released?

Thanks!

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Curious..... what are you planning on running that would require 8 GB of RAM?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's hardware/firmware limited, not OS. SL can't fix it

4. hushreality thread starter macrumors newbie

I work for a post-production film company. Right now my position doesn't require that much ram, but hopefully it will in the near future :)

5. jamin100 macrumors 6502

you'd probably be better off with a mac pro then

6. shaunymac macrumors 6502

well, you definately weren't wrong for thinking that 10.6 "may" unlock the ram barrier. Although it was highly unlikely, it was a shot that something would happen.

I too have been reading these threads forever it seems. I would like to future-proof my portable mac as much as I can.

If you or anyone else finds out anything new, keep us posted.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Seriously. I'm hardly restricted by my 3GB of RAM on my two-year-old MBP. My bottleneck on non-Internet stuff is CPU power. Right now I'm sharing an iMovie project to iDVD, and it's going to take two hours, the same as the length of the video. I'm thinking either a 3.0ish GHz CPU or a quad-core CPU would do me a lot more good than going up to 8GB of RAM.

I also doubt there will be a MBP update to give it 8GB max (or more) until the next chipset and CPU are used. I've got to think that quad-core mobile processors will hit MBPs next year, which is when I'd assume we'll see more RAM available.

8. chrix macrumors newbie

I just upgraded late 2008 MBP 2.4GHz to 4G RAM, enough memory for now.
    And I am also curious about it...
    Stop the theories, anyone have a real try, please post!

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

as others stated it wasn't a constraint imposed by apple, but a hardware issue with the nvidia chips that were used. 6gig is all you can get with a late 08 MBP.

In all honesty, I'm pretty content with 4gb on my 08 unibody MBP. I'm tempted from time to time for 6gig but I look at my page outs and they're not too high and I'm pretty happy with the performance.

10. xiovoix macrumors regular

xiovoix

11. mac2x macrumors 65816

Same computer here, also very curious...