Macbook Pro (Late 2008) Audio Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Beaverfish, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Beaverfish macrumors regular

UPDATE

Ok I feel really silly. I drove all the way to the apple store only to be told a small part of my headphone cable had broken off inside the headphones port. I eventually maanged to get it out with a pair of tweezers, and now everything works again.
    Thanks for your input

....................................................................................................................................

Here goes.
    I realized today that my sound on my internal speakers wasn't working. I tried to change the volume to make sure I hadn't just muted the speakers or anything silly like that. I got the usual speaker symbol on screen, but it was grayed out, and showed a no-entry sign underneath. I re-booted the system, still to no avail. I then tried repairing permissions that didn't work either.

After a bit more research I heard about the "redlight" issues that some macbook owners were having.
    I then thought it might be to do with the system not registering the fact that the headphones had been removed. I tried to plug in my headphones but there is something blocking the audio output. I took a torch and looked inside. Nothing out of the ordinary and no red light !

I then ran the extended hardware test and it didn't show any issues.

Does anyone have any idea. I don't want to take this into to the apple store as I live about 2 hours from the nearest one, and I was only there today getting my iphone replaced :-(

2. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

If you're in your 15 days, you can call Apple and make them send you a remplacement and a return box to send your old MacBook Pro back.

3. Beaverfish thread starter macrumors regular

I've had the mac too long.

Unfortunatly, I've had the computer for about three months. But thanks for your input.

4. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Either call an apple store or applecare. If u have applecare great if not your still within your original 1 yr warranty. And this seems to be something that would be covered, especially if u don't have the red light coming from your port.

EDIT: have you tried cleaning the port with a blast from a can of compressed air? this might help if you have some dust or other particulate debris in there.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

In the sound preference pane, what is listed under the Output tab? Have you also reset PRAM/SMC?