Macbook pro late 2008 upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phospholipid1, Jan 30, 2014.

1. phospholipid1 macrumors member

Received an old macbook pro late 2008 and was wanting to upgrade it a little, just wondering on what ssd and ram my mac is capable of holding?

Here are the current specs:

Processor name: intel core 2 duo
    processor speed: 2.53 ghz
    no of processors: 1
    no of cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6mb
    Memory: 4gb
    bus speed: 1.07ghz
    Serial no. W88523DC1GA

Could someone tell me which ssd I can get (what dimensions?), and the maximum ram capacity of this system

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Your late 2008 MacBook Pro can have a maximum of 8 GB RAM installed.

The SSD can be any 2.5-inch SSD, and you should look for one that is compatible with your SATA bus, which is SATA2 (3.0 Gbps)

3. mneblett macrumors 6502

I have the 2.4GHz version of the same machine. 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD made a huge difference in the apparent performance.

On the SSD, it's getting nearly impossible to find a decent SATA II (3Gb/s) SSD anymore -- get a SATA III (6Gb/s) SSD (which is backwards-compatible with SATA II and will work in your machine).

I put a SATA III SSD in my late '08, in part because I wanted to have the ability to use the SSD someday in another SATA III-equipped computer.

4. phospholipid1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, and what about the RAM - What should I look for? Also, where can I find these products in the UK? I searched around but get directed to a lot of North American websites.

One more question, I was speaking to a friend who advised me to just sell this one (They are selling for around £400 on ebay) and save up for a newer model? Do you agree with him? I partly agree because the model is kind of heavy at 2.5kg, but that's not too big of a deal. I'll be using it for programming in Java and Python/ruby mainly... Nothing too extensive (no gaming).

edit: would this be compatible? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A7JFYXC/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers#productDetails

5. stevemurrayphot macrumors newbie

Yes, I believe so

just returning this for my late 08 MBP and exchanging for a 256M version, should be fine. It comes with cables and enclosure, which is handy, plus Windows software for cloning your hard disk - I'll just use CarbonCopyCloner when it gets here, not expecting any issues. Try Crucial for the memory, not had any problem with my 8Gb upgrade at all.

6. phospholipid1 thread starter macrumors member

7. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

This RAM would be exactly right for your MBPro
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/memory-upgr...12?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1391220228&sr=1-12
    If you prefer a lower price, then continue looking with those specs
    PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM
    Just remember that 4 GB will be your largest size single stick, and 2 x 4 GB will give your the maximum RAM.
    The SSD that you linked will fit and work OK, but less capacity than what I would get.

8. pukrnukr macrumors member

If you got this macbook pro for free or didn't pay much for it, I would sell it and save a little more and get something a few years newer with a core i5. I've been looking to sell my late 2008 macbook pro and buy a newer one because it looks as if, at least here in the us, that I can sell mine and buy something considerably faster for only a few hundred out of my pocket.