MacBook Pro Late 2008 vs. Current MacBook Pro Difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChitoCrisis, Jan 9, 2011.

1. ChitoCrisis macrumors member

I'm not very good with specs and I realize there is a significant difference between the late 2008 MacBook Pro and the current MacBook Pro. I'm buying a new one and I'd like to know how much of a difference it is (like using percents or I don't know, something). That would be of some really good help to me. I'm just excited to be buying a new one and I can't wait to test it out. I'm just a little bummed out that Lion will come out later this year and I won't be able to get it on my new MBP. But MacApps works just fine right? What else is in Snow Leopard? (I'm on Leopard) Thanks.

15.4" MacBook Pro specs:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/sp499

Current 15.4" MacBook Pro specs:
    http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The biggest difference is that current MBPs have i5 processor while older ones have Core 2 Duo. According to http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/, the difference is roughly 50%. The key question is, however, what are you going to use it for? Faster CPU only helps if your usage can take advantage of it. Most apps cannot. Sure the new ones have better GPU too but it's not that huge difference.

If you don't need it right now, wait. New MBPs should be out in couple of months

3. ChitoCrisis thread starter macrumors member

I need to buy one before April unfortunately. That's when I'll be leaving out of town.

I mostly use my MacBook Pro for Flash animation, a little bit of PhotoShop (both CS4), and playing video games on Steam. Some games on Steam require Snow Leopard, which I find ridiculous because I think mine can definitely run them but oh well. I'm also going to use it to edit videos from my HD camcorder.

Thanks for the quick reply.

4. ChitoCrisis thread starter macrumors member

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, any information regarding the newer MBP's? Like when they'll be out and upgraded specs? If it comes out before April it would be amazing but I seriously doubt it.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, it has never taken more than 10-11 months for Apple to update MBPs so current guesses are late Feb or March. April would be 12 months already. If you can, wait. If there are no new MBPs before you got to leave, then go ahead and buy whatever is available.

6. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Your Mbp has good specs. I'd make sure ram is maxed out and update to SL.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

A quite huge difference is also the screen. You can have high def + anti glare. One of the best screens that can be found on any notebook out there.
    Battery life in the new ones is probably about 30% better. The 8h are fake and only true in almost complete idle work. Everything else is 4-5h for normal stuff and 2-3h if you do something that taxes the CPU.

PS: I would wait for the Sandy Bridge update. Although for Photoediting it is probably not necessary. Just get the better screen.

8. ChitoCrisis thread starter macrumors member

Sandy Bridge is the new intel chip right? If so, that's expected to be in the upcoming 2011 update that is most likely coming before April?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Kinda pointless to update MBP if there is nothing new. So yes, it's likely that Apple will use Sandy Bridge in MBPs

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

AFAIK last year Apple planned for a March release but it got delayed till April. I doubt there will be any delays this year. I guess it might be as soon as the end of February or sometime in March. We will not know till we know.
    Last year they had to switch to a completely new chipset, implement their graphics switching, Arrendale need quite a bit of tweaking with HT and all to give decent battery life. This year Intel has a mature 32nm process node, it will probably be able to provide much more chips than last year. It all looks very good on the SB side and Apple had a lot of time developing the new models have the first working Sandy Bridge CPUs have been available for months.

Yes I think it is most likely coming before April. If you did Video stuff I would definitely wait. With Photo's the Sandy Bridge is not really that important or that much faster. You can still benefit from some yet unknown new features that come standard or simply from cheaper prices of the old model. It is a win in any case and only 2-3 months to wait.